starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gluteal Amnesia is a myth. But lumbar amnesia is real?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    I was teaching someone to overhead press once and told them to squeeze their abs because they were overextending their low back. They literally did not know how to squeeze their abs. I had them set down the bar and then I pretended to punch them in the stomach with my fist stopping just a couple inches short. It worked pretty well.
    And it didn't require weeks of situps.

Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    Isn't the burden of proof on those who assert that certain isolation exercises improve muscle activation.? If the burden were on the Nonactivationists, Activationists could assert that all sorts of utter nonsense improves muscle activation, and the disbelievers would have to spend all their time refuting it. When I do a set of KB swings before deadlifting, my glutes feel like they're firing better afterward, but my feeling doesn't mean squat from a scientific standpoint. What evidence do those asserting the efficacy of "activation" exercises offer? Have they done controlled studies showing that those who did the exercises performed better? Are there CAT scans showing greater muscle activation?
    Are you on a reform trajectory, dpg?

Where did Glute Amnesia/glute activation patterns come from? Essentially, who specifically coined and described the term in writing? I'm curious to read where they are getting it from.

As much as I can while still being true to my contrary nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Where did Glute Amnesia/glute activation patterns come from? Essentially, who specifically coined and described the term in writing? I'm curious to read where they are getting it from.
    Had to be a Physical Therapist working on the business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Strength Spin View Post
    The abs can have this problem as well, particularly with females who have borne children, and shouting "Abz" will be as ineffective as shouting "Low back" to a lumbar amnesiac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    I was teaching someone to overhead press once and told them to squeeze their abs because they were overextending their low back. They literally did not know how to squeeze their abs. I had them set down the bar and then I pretended to punch them in the stomach with my fist stopping just a couple inches short. It worked pretty well.
    I was going to bring up the exact same thing. I've never known anyone, mother or not, who doesn't know how to brace for a punch. You're nicer than me though. I don't stop short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    What do you know, Rip? You've never been a glute.
    Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    As for Glute misfires, I had it happen to me at Applebee's one time.
    I think you're referring to a glute backfire. Different thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Alwyn Cosgrove circa '05-'06. It became polularized through the Dave Tate Project.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345