starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about scapula retraction during the squat.

Default Question about scapula retraction during the squat.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip. I have just watched the platform video on bar position but this aspect wasn't addressed.

I think my shoulder injury I've had for a while is related to one of my shoulders trying to roll forward when I'm giving it my all while coming up from the bottom of the squat. The bar's weight underneath the scapula seems to aggravate the tendons and ligaments as this happens.

Should one actively think about retracting the scapula as in the bench press to avoid the issue? I currently think 'chest up', and 'elbows back and up', but this doesn't seem to do the trick.

Thank you.

How you manage chest up and elbows up without a scapula retraction? I don't really think this is possible.

I'm not sure. I'm fucked up I guess. I have watched videos where my form seems fine as far as chest and elbows are concerned but I can feel my right shoulder rolling forward still.

I presume from your last reply scapula retraction is indeed a good thing. I will imagine gripping a tennis ball or some other similar object between my shoulders while squatting to see if this helps things.

Thank you,

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    I'm not sure. I'm fucked up I guess. I have watched videos where my form seems fine as far as chest and elbows are concerned but I can feel my right shoulder rolling forward still.

I presume from your last reply scapula retraction is indeed a good thing. I will imagine gripping a tennis ball or some other similar object between my shoulders while squatting to see if this helps things.

Thank you,

Matt.
    I struggle with a similar problem. Playing baseball for 16 consecutive years took its toll on my right shoulder. When squatting over ~250lbs my shoulder wants to slouch forward, and if it does my form breaks. Increasing my ab and lower back strength has helped me quite a bit.

Not offering advise, just my own experiences - super noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How you manage chest up and elbows up without a scapula retraction? I don't really think this is possible.
    Is it possible with the lower back rounded and not in proper extension?

I broke several bones in my should on a motocross accident. My shoulders even after PT and lifting are still not symmetric and the right one is a bit forward with my right shoulder blade sticks outward a bit . When I first started squatting, my right shoulder blade was out and caused discomfort. I re-read the queues in the book , the elbows up, chest up, and thinking about my lumbar in extension. After implementing this the shoulder blade went in with no discomfort. Seems like the lumbar extension also helps, but it could just be the chest up and elbows up did it alone.

These are the kinds of things I'd need to standing there to see.

For what it's worth I've recently found that part of the problem was due to favoring my left side when squatting because of a minor back injury many months before. My left side would lead the right, causing my right knee to come in slightly while on the way up, and my right shoulder to drop slightly because the left side came up quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    His grip may be too wide.

Aslin's? He's got almost 500 posts!

starting strength coach development program
    He will look tonight. Thank you for chiming in Simma.

One other question I've been meaning to annoy you with Rip: When scrapping the intensity workout for DE on the press and bench, do you alternate the two lifts every other week like you would on a standard intensity workout? Or is it better to do both the bench and press DE together weekly 3x10? I feel I might lose the benefit of the work if I alternate the lifts and do them once every other week. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast