starting strength gym

Thread: Looking up during a squat - pain

Default Looking up during a squat - pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On my last squat of my last set, I looked up as I worked to complete the rep. I got a sharp pain in the back of my neck, up into the left side of my head and eye. Took about 3 minutes to feel better.

Now I've had this in the past, a few years ago when I did SS the first time although I don't remember the eye thing. It only happens when my form breaks down and I look up, so obviously I try not to do this. I backed off on the rest of the workout because I could just feel the pain lingering a bit upon exertion.

I'm just curious as to whether someone can tell me what this is.... Maybe just an exertion headache or something. It can happen on the bench too, but that's more of a general neck pain, not up into my head. I do have a general doc appt tomorrow where I'll ask him, but it seems to be something tension or nerve related.

Thanks for any help

I'm not sure what your question is, beyond "is this neck pain?", which it obviously is, and did you get an exertion headache, which probably explains things. But be sure to ask your doctor about your training while you're in the office.

Thanks for responding. It just hurts like hell and seemed odd that simply looking up could bring it on so fast. Logically I know don't look up is the solution, just was curious if the symptoms sounded like something people here experience and have had any diagnosis on.

Many people have neck injuries that are aggravated by looking up. One of the reasons we don't.

I used to get a similar pain sometimes when I was playing cricket. I'd come in to bowl and as I released the ball I would get an excruciating jolt of pain in the back of my head/neck. Almost like someone had tased me. Sometimes I'd end up on my hands and knees with tears in my eyes.

It only happened a handful of times and the pain went away within minutes each time.

After a bit of google work, my guess was something along the lines of occipital neuralgia, but it hasn't happened in years.

Just throwing it out there - but maybe looking up causes irritation to the occipital nerve. Possibly an MD on this board can expand on this?

Thanks or that. It fits pretty well. I'll definitely bring it up to the doc to see what he says

Be sure to ask if it's okay to squat below parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Be sure to ask if it's okay to squat below parallel.
    Coach, you are killing me...

starting strength coach development program
    Doc called out sick. Never had that happen before. Hope it's not Ebola

And he's good with squatting..... Actually suggested I do it as part of a workout last time I saw him. Lol