starting strength gym

Thread: Asymmetrical muscle development.

Default Asymmetrical muscle development.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm still fairly new into the Novice phase (only squatting 220lb), and it has become increasingly apparent that my legs are developing quite different from each other. Specifically, what I believe to be the upper part of the Vastus lateralis, and the fact that I seem to lack it completely on my right leg

Having already used the search function I found several posts indicating scoliosis or asymmetrical leg length as the cause of uneven development. However, I suffer from neither of these. Let alone severe enough to cause the large difference I'm experiencing (about 2 inches when measuring 'girth' of the upper leg).

I'm always careful to take an even stance, with the bar centered and level.

I don't suffer from any strength imbalances despite the difference in size - although it is of my opinion that may just be because I'm still very novice.

I don't experience this asymmetry on any other part of my body.

I did do a lot of BMX as a child/teenager, and the more developed leg was my 'lead' leg - The leg I always had forward when coasting, jumping and landing. I am unsure if this is related.

I don't care about the 'aesthetics' of asymmetrical legs. I'm just concerned, will this cause issues as I progress through and out of the novice phase? Or is it reasonably common and of no concern?

Thank you.

If your technique is symmetrical, the small leg will either catch up, or it won't. If you make each side contribute the same force, the weak (?) side will adapt.