starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My new article on Military Fitness

Default My new article on Military Fitness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

While strength is an unquestionably valuable asset to have, special operations units seem more interested in an individual's ability to ruck. The Army Special Forces and (allegedly) 1st SFOD-D (Delta) use an individual's ability to ruck and land-nav as a means for selection. While strength training would certainly assist with that, there is no substitution for actually getting out there under a heavy pack and moving long distances over uneven terrain.

I think any physical assessment test of an individual for combat readiness should include rucking.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 10-07-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Link removal.

You see no relationship between strength at a heavier, more muscular bodyweight and the ability to carry a load on the shoulders without fatigue?

I absolutely see a link and think that strength training can only improve an individual's ability to ruck, but it seems to me that it is an important part of military fitness training and should be included in any assessment of an individual's combat readiness.

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree View Post
    While strength is an unquestionably valuable asset to have, special operations units seem more interested in an individual's ability to ruck. The Army Special Forces and (allegedly) 1st SFOD-D (Delta) use an individual's ability to ruck and land-nav as a means for selection. While strength training would certainly assist with that, there is no substitution for actually getting out there under a heavy pack and moving long distances over uneven terrain.

I think any physical assessment test of an individual for combat readiness should include rucking.
    Do you not understand that moving with a 70 pound ruck over uneven terrain is the sport specific training that must be done once one is strong? Obviously a linebacker understands there is no substitute for actually playing football but he still gets damn strong to make playing football easier.

Ruck marches are unit run quarterly events. Well, maybe things have changed but they use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree View Post
    I absolutely see a link and think that strength training can only improve an individual's ability to ruck, but it seems to me that it is an important part of military fitness training and should be included in any assessment of an individual's combat readiness.
    Do you think I have no experience with training these people??? You must have missed the part about where THEY ALREADY DO THAT. It is part of every field unit's FIELD training. ALREADY. I am suggesting that the basic requirements be changed to better reflect the demands of moving heavy shit around in the field, and a 5-mile time has nothing to do with that.

Do you think I have no experience with training these people???
    No sir, I am aware that you have that experience.

I am suggesting that the basic requirements be changed to better reflect the demands of moving heavy shit around in the field
    Understood.

Good Article. I sent it to some Marines that I know.

They said the Army is weak sauce. (takes a step back)

I don't think they'd have time to do strength training in basic. It's logistically very difficult and time consuming on a big Army base to get all the platoons of new recruits rotated through the chow hall, the rifle range, and whatever other training they're doing that day. I remember a lot of time being spent lining up early to stand around and wait for your platoon's turn. And this would need to happen 3 times a week. Barbell training would require a large facility that could accommodate a large number of men, probably several platoons at a time. Calisthenics PT and running, on the other hand, can be done anywhere outside.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    I don't think ...

Anytime you type the words "I don't think..." it means you haven't thought, or that you lack the experience to do so effectively.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast