starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Work Capacity and Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Many times in CF we find athletes who are dumping torque as their joints seek stability and their tissue quality suffers. This junk tissue and indiscriminate torque reallocation as we see can and often does with respect to movement no matter how hard we reallocate and release the problem, we still continue to see these types of manifestations even in experienced athletes as they seek these positions of stability under load but adhesions and improper joint capsule porosity as we go forward which creates this sort of a cyclical maybe even temporal pinning or entrapment of connective tissues within the pattern will inevitably degrade force production, work capacity, chlamydia resistance, explosive power and when conjoined with the types of work protocols and modalities in the elite first responder community, inevitably require VooDoo band intervention in the area to derestrict and restore tissue integrity like we demonstrated in last hour's video. It's all in the book.

Or, in the Army, it means anyone that conducts Army physical training. The only difference is we up the ante by adding "tactical" between elite and athlete. We are elite tactical athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    The very first time Klokov did a "225lb Isabel", he beat Rich Froning's best time.
    Yeah, but but but

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    Many times in CF we find athletes who are dumping torque as their joints seek stability and their tissue quality suffers. This junk tissue and indiscriminate torque reallocation as we see can and often does with respect to movement no matter how hard we reallocate and release the problem, we still continue to see these types of manifestations even in experienced athletes as they seek these positions of stability under load but adhesions and improper joint capsule porosity as we go forward which creates this sort of a cyclical maybe even temporal pinning or entrapment of connective tissues within the pattern will inevitably degrade force production, work capacity, chlamydia resistance, explosive power and when conjoined with the types of work protocols and modalities in the elite first responder community, inevitably require VooDoo band intervention in the area to derestrict and restore tissue integrity like we demonstrated in last hour's video. It's all in the book.
    Post of the Week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    I would just like to say that I hate the term "work capacity." What is the value of this metric?
    Obviously you should only measure functional work capacity.

The best thing I have read all week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In CF, it means "gym member".
    Yeah. Hence the qualifier.

http://youtu.be/9ROOi5xagxg

Quote Originally Posted by atb5161 View Post
    3 sets of 5 reps at, say 315lbs. Assume it takes 15 seconds to complete 5 reps. Assume you take 3 minutes rest between sets. Assume the bar travels, like, 2ft from the bottom of the squat to the top.

total work done = (315lbs*2ft)*5 = 3150 lbf
    total time to complete work = (15s*5)+(180s*4) = 795s
    average power for sets across = 3150/795 = 3.96 lbf/s

For comparison let's figure out the average power output of me doing "grace" (30 reps of 135lb clean +jerk). My grace time is pretty bad, like, 4 minutes. I stand at 5'7", so lets call my overhead position an even 7' above the ground.

total work done = 135lb*7ft*30 = 28350 lbf
    total time to complete work = 4*60s = 240s
    average power during grace = 28350/240 = 118.125 lbf/s

For reference, a common unit of horsepower is equal to 550 ftlbs/s

Is any of this useful? I dunno, it probably depends on context. If i have to lift a car off my friend, I'd rather be the non-powerful guy that can squat 315 for reps. Likewise if I have to carry a 100lb sack of supplies 200 yards across a dangerous battlefield, I'd rather be the guy who doesn't have to stop and take a breather half way through. Either way, I like physics.

I hope I didn't make an error
    315*2ft*15 reps, not 5. And then your time calculation used 5 sets instead of 3.

Chlamydia resistance degradation - The new #1 reason to avoid Crossfit.

starting strength coach development program
    I've reread this 3 times & I'm still not certain if this is brilliant parody or transcript. Or a little of both?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast