starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbbells Instead of Barbells?

Default Dumbbells Instead of Barbells?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I bought the Kindle version of Starting Strength after reading about your work through Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit. I’m 65 years old, close to retirement, and would have a hard time selling my wife on spending the money for the home gym you recommend in "You Only Need These 6 Things For a World-Class Home Gym.” Instead, I bought a 100 lb. set of dumbbells and a weight bench and have been working with them, increasing my weight 2 to 3 lbs. every other workout. (I know that’s slower than you recommend, but I’m a cautious man.) I’ve gone from 6 to 18 lbs per dumbbell so far. Can I get the strength job done with dumbbells alone?

Workout Routine (3 Sets of 6 every 2 to 3 days)
    STANDING
    Squats with Arms-In-Front Holding Both Dumbbells Side-By-Side Vertically
    Alternating Single Arm Hammer Curl into One-Arm Press
    Shrugs with Dumbbells at Thigh Level
    BENCH
    Flat Chest Press into Tricep Extensions
    Triceps Kickbacks

You're deadlifting 18-pound dumbbells?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're deadlifting 18-pound dumbbells?
    Jeez Rip. That was your only question? This sounds like a Vince Gironda routine, not like something inspired from having read one of your articles.

Actually, I see he's not deadlifting at all. Kebbel, I have a 91 year old woman in here that is less "cautious" than you. Maybe you should invest in a coach.

Actually, I see he's not deadlifting at all. Kebbel, I have a 91 year old woman in here that is less "cautious" than you. Maybe you should invest in a coach.

It's all about how much risk you're willing to take.

Justin Shaginaw, MPT, ATC, Athletic Trainer for US Soccer Federation; Aria 3B Orthopaedic Institute

Default Deadlifting Dumbbells? Are you saying ...

Does that 91 year old lady live in East Central, Florida, and if so, what do you think she charges for coaching? Kidding... I'm at 18 lbs now, headed as close to the 50 lbs per dumbbell as I can eventually get. The original question that I asked and am re-asking is can I get really strong with dumbbells instead of barbells? I've never heard of anyone dead-lifting dumbbells so I assume you're saying deadlifts with a bar are essential to any strength program?

The *real* question is this - Are the dumbells pink?

Quote Originally Posted by kebbelj View Post
    Kidding... I'm at 18 lbs now, headed as close to the 50 lbs per dumbbell as I can eventually get. The original question that I asked and am re-asking is can I get really strong with dumbbells instead of barbells? I've never heard of anyone dead-lifting dumbbells so I assume you're saying deadlifts with a bar are essential to any strength program?
    You said you'd read the book. Stop typing.

kebbelj, I used to live in East Orlando. They've got a Dick's Sporting Goods and you can pick up a barbell set for $100 if you're worried about cost. Heck, you can get one for $180 that might even last you through novice phase. Rip will recommend you don't get a cheap bar (duh), so why not also check out Fringe Sport?

And you should really do the program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kebbelj View Post
    I Can I get the strength job done with dumbbells alone?
    You can do strength training with dumb bells to a certain extant , however they are an unstable load to bear (especially when the load is increased), you need to hitch up those plates to an axle i.e a barbell, it is a much more stable platform to work from and safer as you have more control across two arms rather than to split the weight. BTW you probably should not train alone yet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast