starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Svj

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    I've been following several youtubers for a few years that have drastically increased their verts. "NBA8340" went from a 24 to a 42 inch running vertical jump (39" SVJ) in 5 years of vert specific training and "Ace Jumper" went from a 26 to a 45 inch running vert from 4 years of vert obsession. A common theme to their "vertical jump journeys" is that they do a lot of max effort jumps in addition to all their strength/power/plyo training.
    Running. Standing.

Ain't the same thing, son.

This is what happens when you learn from youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    What explanation do you have for the dramatic increases that many people have experienced on their verticals (>50%)?
    Kyle said it- you're comparing apples and oranges. You've proven by your examples that you're not on the same sheet of music.
    Also... Youtube is a make-believe land. Many impossible things happen on the Tubes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NePCqRmQ-Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    I just wish I had some data on SVJ improvement.
    We do have some research on it, though admittedly, it's shoddy as hell (underpowered, mostly). It's TLR for me to summarize them all here, but a quick review found 9 studies from which A) tested the SVJ pre and post training and B) included the effect size or percent where I could get to it (ie: not behind a paywall). The highest increases were in previously untrained populations at 8.5 and 8% over a 4-month and 6 week intervention (respectively). Experienced athletes experienced increases of ~2-3% over 3-4 month interventions, and kids' SVJ didn't respond to the training at all.

If the question is, "Could a novice increase their performance on the SVJ test more than 20%?" Probably- I haven't met any, but maybe Will could elaborate? We know that weight loss, experience with the test, motivation of the athlete, and certain tricks do allow novices to 'game the test.' Combine that with training and I'd actually expect outliers, especially now that we've now got a myriad of 'elite weekend warriors' pulling every trick in the book to improve their scores on random circus stunts every other week (though, admittedly, they seem to prefer the box jump).

If the question is: "Is general neuromuscular efficiency trainable to a great degree?", my initial impression is 'no.' If NME was progressively improvable like the squat or the clean, I think you'd be seeing college/professional athletes with dramatically improved pre/end-of-career SVJs (at the same BW), but you don't. A collegiate/NFL strength coach won't see these Youtube-jump-gainz because his athletes are already motivated, already experienced with the test, and likely tried every trick they could find to bump up their initial SVJ in their efforts to make the cut.

6 weeks of training yielded a 4 (10.67 cm) inch increase in SVJ. We are told that they are intermediate lifters, but not given their SVJs. If we assume that their SVJs are the normal 24", a 16.7% increase in SVJ is achieved in 6 weeks.

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...wer_Production

Right. Got it. Thanks.

Is there the same issues regarding technique and tricks in a plate/box jump? Are SVJ numbers also impressive relative to height of said person? For instance a 35"svj by a 5' bloke better than a 40" svj by a 6'2" fella?
    I find jumping onto things impressive like this
    http://youtu.be/wZeV6W1VEoM

Yes. This is very impressive. Thanks for posting!

starting strength coach development program
    Cat like.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456