starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibuprofen Protocol

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiong View Post
    Anyone ever hear of someone developing an allergy to NSAID's? I took them for years, but the last 6 months any time I try to take Aleve, motrin, advil, etc. I end up sneezing for the rest of the day.

I have had to use a bourbon protocol instead....
    I get sores in my mouth from NSAIDs. I know that's a different type of reaction then you are talking about but figures it was worth mentioning in case someone else got sores while taking IB and didn't put together the connection.

Isn't Aleve (naproxen) proven to be more potent for reducing inflammation and pain?

No, it's not. It's just dosed differently. I guess it depends on what you mean by "potent."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tandy View Post
    I had a few questions about this intervention.

Which injuries are treated with this approach?
    So far I've compiled: chronic back injuries, knee-tendinitis, elbow tendinitis, AC joint issues like bursitis.

What medical conditions should make trainees think twice about using the protocol?
    All I can think of is those with a history of stomach ulcers, low kidney function.

Is there anything else? What if, say, they have assymptomatic polycystic kidneys?
    Diabetes? Smokes two packs a day?
    Are you suggesting JT that some strength trainees are smoking two packs of smokes a day?

This 800mg of Ibuprofen was just mentioned on the latest IronRadio podcast as well. The presenter on there (Phil Stevens) takes it once after heavy squat and powerlifting days.

I know 2 people who have a pretty strong alertly to NSAIDs so it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, it's not. It's just dosed differently. I guess it depends on what you mean by "potent."
    This is the study i saw a few years ago http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6373158

"Naproxen was superior to ibuprofen in relieving resting pain, movement pain, night pain and interference with daily activities. In the patients receiving ibuprofen first, all parameters showed a significant mean improvement after crossover to naproxen. Patients receiving naproxen first did not significantly improve further when crossed over to ibuprofen"

I can definitely anecdotally affirm these results; Aleve definitely feels more "potent" at reducing my aches and pains than Advil. But Aleve have given me more GI problems though...I thought that was the reason you withheld from recommending aleve over advil. Have you tried aleve in place of advil?

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    Isn't Aleve (naproxen) proven to be more potent for reducing inflammation and pain?
    Naproxen can elevate blood pressure in some individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    This is the study i saw a few years ago http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6373158

"Naproxen was superior to ibuprofen in relieving resting pain, movement pain, night pain and interference with daily activities. In the patients receiving ibuprofen first, all parameters showed a significant mean improvement after crossover to naproxen. Patients receiving naproxen first did not significantly improve further when crossed over to ibuprofen"

I can definitely anecdotally affirm these results; Aleve definitely feels more "potent" at reducing my aches and pains than Advil. But Aleve have given me more GI problems though...I thought that was the reason you withheld from recommending aleve over advil. Have you tried aleve in place of advil?
    I assume the dose was adjusted to be equivalent. Individual responses to these types of medications vary considerably, so I don't know that it's possible to say with any degree of certainty that people respond better to naproxen than ibuprofen. I use naproxen very occasionally when I need an NSAID.

starting strength coach development program
    Naproxen is a more potent inhibitor of the COX enzymes so it can be dosed at a lower dose. It also has a longer half life so can be dosed twice a day. Roughly speaking, 2 naproxen 220 mg (200 actual mg as 20 is salt) twice a day is equal to the ibuprofen protocol of 800 mg four times a day. I don't know that any conclusive studies have been done regarding inferiority of one over the other. Naproxen is just a lot more convenient for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast