starting strength gym

Thread: Significant Spinal Erector Asymmetry from Scoliosis / Weight Training...Help???

Default Significant Spinal Erector Asymmetry from Scoliosis / Weight Training...Help???

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I have been doing barbell training for about 6 months now and have noticed significant growth in one side of my spinal erectors over the other. My left is MUCH larger than my right. I do have s shaped scoliosis and it is a very minor degree - less than 20 and it is the obvious reason behind what is occurring.
    Nearly every exercise I do with heavy ass weight (relative) hurts the weak side of my lower back. One side of my lower back very thick and strong and the other is borderline atrophied in comparison. It is easily visible in person.

In order to stop the pain I would assume I need to correct this muscular imbalance between my right and left erector. Do you have any experience / suggestions for any exercises or methods that could help me pursue my goals of lifting heavy weight pain free? (Side Planks / Suitcase Deadlifts?)

I searched this forum for quite a while and I didn't find anything quite like what I am looking for.

Stats:

Male
    Weight: 178 lbs
    Height: 5' 11"
    Bench max: 185 3X5
    Squat Max: 235 3X5
    DL max (Limited by pain, not strength): 260 X5

Did you find the part that says that someone in your situation needs to gain weight, and that gaining weight makes things stop hurting? You can't fix your scoliosis, and I'd be interested in knowing how you plan to work your right erector by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you find the part that says that someone in your situation needs to gain weight, and that gaining weight makes things stop hurting? You can't fix your scoliosis, and I'd be interested in knowing how you plan to work your right erector by itself.

No, I did not find that bit of info. However, it does make sense and I do plan to gain a good bit more weight (atleast 20-30 lbs). I started at 148-150 ( I was one skinny-ass mofo). Hopefully that will help.

I was thinking about certain exercises that cause an asymmetric load on the spine such as side planks and suitcase dead lifts. - They don't work the right erector by itself, but common sense would dictate that these exercises would cause one side to work harder than the other.

My fear is that due to the geometry of my lower lumbar that my left side will continue to take the brunt of the work for dead lifts and squats and further facilitate the issue at hand. I'm not sure if that makes sense or even how it works, but it concerned me enough to make this forum post.

Thanks for your time and your response.

Quote Originally Posted by naherron View Post
    I was thinking about certain exercises that cause an asymmetric load on the spine such as side planks and suitcase dead lifts. - They don't work the right erector by itself, but common sense would dictate that these exercises would cause one side to work harder than the other.
    I'd advise you to think more carefully about this. Asymmetrical loading may not do what you think it will, and an analysis of the forces and their expression across the system should not be so superficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd advise you to think more carefully about this. Asymmetrical loading may not do what you think it will, and an analysis of the forces and their expression across the system should not be so superficial.
    You're right. I'm far from an expert on the subject of bio-mechanics.

Do you think that solely doing doing squats and dead lifts in combination with gaining weight is a possible solution ? If so, I will do that because the fewer exercises, the better.

I have the same issue. Left erector spinae are like a Chinese weightlifter, right side like a 13yo girl. Mark described me as "like a white, weak Lamar Gant." He was being generous.

He's right, asymmetrical loading doesn't help.

Think of it this way: to have an effect, the asymmetrical load has to be of the same sort of weight as the symmetrical one. So if you're deadlifting 260, doing suitcase deadlifts with 50lbs won't do a damn thing, it'd have to be over 100lbs. But you find that doing that, you end up moving it in a very asymmetrical way. In order for the asymmetrical movement to be loaded to an extent it'd have any effect, it actually risks injury. At best the asymmetrical lifts will teach awareness, so that you're conscious of what it feels like to have those weak muscles actually working. This then carries over to things like deadlift setup etc. To ensure you are setting up as symmetrically as possible you will need another set of eyes, a coach or an educated training partner. The more you lift as though you're symmetrical already, the more symmetrical you'll be.

Those of us with joint issues, whether a recent knee reconstruction, past collarbone fracture, scoliosis or whatever, the basic thing is to do the exercises as symmetrically as possible - shims etc may be necessary - and progress more slowly than the mythical perfectly healthy and symmetrical person. And yes, gain weight, but that's true of everyone. A 178lb guy squatting 235 is simply going to have a harder time than a 200lb guy doing it.

If you are built wonky, you will always be wonky. All you can do is minimise it, and stop it getting worse - and left to itself, it will get worse over the years and decades. The pain you have at 22 pulling 265 will be pain you have at 52 just picking up the newspaper.

Lift as symmetrically as possible with someone watching you, progress more slowly than the mythical healthy balanced person.

Thanks for the informative post, Kyle! Its nice knowing someone else has dealt with the same issues I have.

I guess I will do a slight reduction in weight to focus on lifting symmetrically and then "linearly" progress from there extremely slowly. Like 2.5 lbs per week or so.

My ultimate goals are something around a 222x5 bench, 315x5 squat and a 405 x5 dl.

If you don't mind me asking Kyle, what are your current numbers with your lifts? - Since you have a similar condition as me I'd just like to know what might be possible with a few years of training.

starting strength coach development program
    "I'd just like to know what might be possible with a few years of training."

I have scoliosis as well, I'd encourage you to check out this awesome article on Lamar Gant, check out the photo on page 4 to see his degree of spinal curvature, one of the strongest men ever
    http://startingstrength.com/articles..._gallagher.pdf