starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibuprofen Protocol

Default Ibuprofen Protocol

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had a few questions about this intervention.

Which injuries are treated with this approach?
    So far I've compiled: chronic back injuries, knee-tendinitis, elbow tendinitis, AC joint issues like bursitis.

What medical conditions should make trainees think twice about using the protocol?
    All I can think of is those with a history of stomach ulcers, low kidney function.

Is there anything else? What if, say, they have assymptomatic polycystic kidneys?
    Diabetes? Smokes two packs a day?

And the protocol is 4 x 800mg for 7-10 days?

Maybe this can end up being made a sticky somewhere once it complete enough.

I've used this intervention for tennis elbow, just wanted to know more about it.
    I ask here because it's the only place I've seen recommend more then the GP/packet-suggestion of ibuprofen (3-4x 400mg here in Aus)
    And I trust you guys.

It's 800mg qid x 5 days. Don't do this more than 5 days. If you smoke 2 packs a day, hurry up and die. I don't know about polycystic kidneys, and I don't know why a person with type II couldn't do this for 5 days.

800 mg ibuprofen for short term use is a pretty standard dose if you walk into the emergency room with something minor. I got that script from a dentist for an impacted wisdom tooth even though it wasn't giving me any pain.

If you have bleeding ulcers or you're on dialysis, are you even lifting bro?

What does a stomach ulcer have to do with lifting?

Nothing. It has to do with ibuprofen.

Anyone ever hear of someone developing an allergy to NSAID's? I took them for years, but the last 6 months any time I try to take Aleve, motrin, advil, etc. I end up sneezing for the rest of the day.

I have had to use a bourbon protocol instead....

A nasal allergy to NSAIDs? I doubt it. Wash your hands more carefully next time you take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A nasal allergy to NSAIDs? I doubt it. Wash your hands more carefully next time you take them.
    That's what I thought too at first. I kept trying different ones with the same result. I'm in my 40's and never had trouble with them in my 30's. But I told my GP about it and he said it's not that rare. I can use Tylenol for pain, but I don't have a good go-to for OTC inflammation relief now.

https://www.zocdoc.com/answers/9696/...sal-congestion

Are you allergic to oxymetazoline? Use that with your NSAID.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Mark.

I haven't tried that yet, but that sounds similar to some advice I've seen on the web. (NSAID + Nasal spray).

I've also heard that desensitizing helps but I haven't talked to my GP about it. It's not considered a true allergy but a 'sensitivity'.

It's weird to wake up one day having trouble taking something that I took for decades.

This is an older article that talks about the phenomenon. Apparently 1% of population/10% of asthmatics develop a NSAID 'allergy'.

It's behind the WSJ paywall but if you google "Adult Mystery: Sudden 'Allergy'" the result would get you to the full article if anyone's interested.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...10302458640840

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast