starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How common are single arm chins?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I assure you that 500-pound squats are FAR more common than one-arm chins.
    I wouldn't bet money on that.

Are you suggesting that one-arm chins are as important as 500-pound squats?
    Absolutely not. Squats are the cornerstone of anything strength related. I'm not arguing otherwise.

You think 500-pound squats are a remarkable achievement
    Yes, my dad used to say a legit 500-lb squat is about as rare as hen's teeth and despite competing and coaching at about a dozen PL meets a year, I'd have to agree.

I'm simply suggesting people should be stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wokanick View Post
    Yes, my dad used to say a legit 500-lb squat is about as rare as hen's teeth and despite competing and coaching at about a dozen PL meets a year, I'd have to agree.
    There were 116 male competitors in the October Iron Fest we put on last year. I just did a quick scan of the PDF results and I counted 8 people that squatted 500 pounds or greater. I don't have the Excel data in front of me and I was not being very careful, so I reserve the right to have miscounted one or two people. The competitors there were not, for the most part, highly competitive powerlifters.

Let's take a look at USAPL's Raw National Results from 2014. Three-hundred and fifty-one men competed and 123, or 35%, of them squatted 500 pounds or greater. A dude weighing just under 140 pounds was among those who did, as did one woman. Seventy-five of the men opened with 500 pounds or more on the squat. Raw Nationals attracts good lifters, including some who are internationally competitive, although the majority of the lifters there are not world class athletes. It also nominally reduces the number of competitors that are on drugs.

A 500-pound squat for a reasonably large young man is not a mythical accomplishment. It is the product of a lot of hard work and it is a significant display of strength, but a lot of people have the ability to do it. If a 500 pound squat is remarkable, many remarks must have been made during Raw Nationals last year. A one armed chin is a function of good arm strength at a light bodyweight. Climbers, as Mr. Miller pointed out, are a group of athletes that manage this. The combination of a small frame and strength is probably more rare than a high level of force production regardless of bodyweight.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 03-25-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    A 500-pound squat for a reasonably large young man is not a mythical accomplishment. It is the product of a lot of hard work and it is a significant display of strength, but a lot of people have the ability to do it. If a 500 pound squat is remarkable, many remarks must have been made during Raw Nationals last year.
    Nobody alluded to a 500-lb squat as being "mythical" accomplishment. But "a lot" of people can't do it. The majority of lifters at a national level powerlifting competition should probably be exceptionally strong. I've never been to a national level meet but I would assume I'd see plenty of 500-lb squats. It is a NATIONAL level competition with a qualifying total.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    A one armed chin is a function of good arm strength at a light bodyweight. Climbers, as Mr. Miller pointed out, are a group of athletes that manage this. The combination of a small frame and strength is probably more rare than a high level of force production regardless of bodyweight.
    You don't need to be a lightweight to do a one arm, as demonstrated by plenty of York weightlifters and bodybuilders who could perform the feat weighing well over 200-lbs. You just need to be strong.

I've seen quiet a few one arm chins but I live close to a climbing hub, gymnastics school and have a background in wrestling/BJJ. So I guess I have more exposure to athletes that manipulate their own bodyweight. Kind of like how you have more exposure to exceptionally strong powerlifters.

That all being said, I don't believe a one arm chin is as challenging as a 500-lb squat for the generally pop. Unless you're weak and/or obese it wouldn't take as long to accomplish.

Question

A 500-pound squat "rare as hen's teeth"?

Then what, for all that is good and holy, does this qualify as?

I've seen quiet a few one arm chins but I live close to a climbing hub, gymnastics school and have a background in wrestling/BJJ. So I guess I have more exposure to athletes that manipulate their own bodyweight. Kind of like how you have more exposure to exceptionally strong powerlifters.
    I guess your bias is derived from your experience, as is mine. I'd venture a guess that mine is more extensive than yours.

That all being said, I don't believe a one arm chin is as challenging as a 500-lb squat for the generally pop. Unless you're weak and/or obese it wouldn't take as long to accomplish.
    So when I tell you that a 500-pound squat is both far more common and far more useful to most people than a one-arm chin, you'll just have to decide whether my bias rises to the level of credible opinion. I think that had you equated 800-pound squats with one-arm chins, you might have a valid point, but you lack the experience to know this.

starting strength coach development program
    Nobody alluded to a 500-lb squat as being "mythical" accomplishment.
    I may be misreading you, but when you signal your agreement to the statement equating a 500-pound squat to something that doesn't exist, such as hen's teeth, I think that qualifies:

That sounds like you go to a dozen meets a year and don't see anyone do a legitimate, below parallel 500-pound squat.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567