starting strength gym

Thread: Sully Referenced in Huffington Post Article About Breathing Techniques

Default Sully Referenced in Huffington Post Article About Breathing Techniques

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    While reading an article posted yesterday on Huffingtion post entitled "3 Breathing Techniques For A More Effective Workout", I almost didn't make it past the line 'the first thing he puts them through is the Functional Movement Screen to assess any major muscle imbalances'. However, I forged on and got to the suggestions about how to breathe when you're working out. To my surprise, the author suggested using the Valsalva maneuver when dealing with heavy loads and max efforts.

For heavy loads and max efforts, use the Vasalva maneuver. Val-what? The Valsalva Manuever is a technique that involves taking a deep breath immediately prior to lifting and holding that breath while you lift. Using this method, “You’re creating a lot of intra-abdominal pressure,” Tamir explains. This increase in pressure creates a strong foundation for your body and allows it to handle more weight. Before approaching a max-effort deadlift, for instance, lifters would stand over the bar and prepare for the lift. Right before setting their grip, they would take a deep breath in and hold that air inside the lungs throughout the rep.
    Then comes the real gem:

Wait -- holding your breath during exercise? Wouldn’t that be dangerous? Some research has indeed claimed that the increase in pressure caused by the Valsalva maneuver could have negative health implications (increasing risk of stroke for example). However, a comprehensive recap done by Jonathon Sullivan, associate professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Wayne State University/Detroit Receiving Hospital, explains this risk mainly applies to those with preexisting conditions such as uncontrolled blood pressure or other cerebrovascular issues.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...health-fitness

The real question is, where did this article originally appear? HuffPo is a scavenger organization. And I love this obligatory boilerplate:

As with any piece of health advice, it’s best to check with your doctor prior to getting under the bar just to be safe.
    Yes, YOUR doctor is an expert in all things having to do with YOUR body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The real question is, where did this article originally appear? HuffPo is a scavenger organization.
    Found it. I saw it was on Daily Burn, but the link didn't click through to the article. A search brought it up. It's actually from January. This one actually links back to Sully's article.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/br...ngth-training/