starting strength gym

Thread: Knee valgus (Knocked Knees)

Default Knee valgus (Knocked Knees)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When wearing shorts, I look about like a baby deer. When I attempt to put my feet together, my knees start touching while my feet are still about 4-6 inches apart. (The issue is mostly caused by my left knee) This becomes problematic when squatting, because my left knee wants to collapse inwards. On sub maximal sets, I can keep it pressed out without issue. Once I get close to my max, I'm not always able to prevent it, and I feel like it causes me to lose a lot of power when I'm driving through the concentric part of the lift.
    Do you have any ideas as to how I can remedy this?

Has your left knee been injured? Are both meniscii in that knee intact?

I partially tore the medial meniscus in that knee playing football about a decade ago. It didn't require surgery, and it seemed to heal back alright. As far as I am aware, they are both still intact. I don't recall it bowing to the inside quite as sharply then, but at the same time, I didn't pay much attention to the state of my knees in those days. There is some slight valgus in the right knee, yet it isn't as profound. And when it comes to squatting, the right side doesn't present the same issues.

Post a squat video.

Quote Originally Posted by NickMurray55 View Post
    When wearing shorts, I look about like a baby deer. When I attempt to put my feet together, my knees start touching while my feet are still about 4-6 inches apart. (The issue is mostly caused by my left knee) This becomes problematic when squatting, because my left knee wants to collapse inwards. On sub maximal sets, I can keep it pressed out without issue. Once I get close to my max, I'm not always able to prevent it, and I feel like it causes me to lose a lot of power when I'm driving through the concentric part of the lift.
    Do you have any ideas as to how I can remedy this?
    When I tore my vastus medialis this summer, I had a lot of problems with my knee trying to chase a valgus collapse. I wore supportive knee sleeves for a couple months and it helped.

And he may need wraps, and certainly weightlifting shoes. But there was a weight for you, and there is a weight for him, that can be done with correct form. So he starts there and goes up, never allowing the knees to go valgus.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And he may need wraps, and certainly weightlifting shoes. But there was a weight for you, and there is a weight for him, that can be done with correct form. So he starts there and goes up, never allowing the knees to go valgus.
    Absolutely. Fact of the matter, his static deformity of his knees isn't going anywhere. Surgery almost certainly isn't an option, so that only really leaves him training through it. If he were to concentrate on actively pull his knees out as he descends in the squat, the action of the abductors will assist in keeping his knees from going valgus.