starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another shoulder popping thread

Default Yet another shoulder popping thread

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach, about six months-year ago I started getting an occasional "tightness" in my left shoulder, and when I flex my traps my shoulder pops and I get full ROM back. It never happens when I'm lifting, it never hurts at all and it will only correct itself if I flex my traps. I'm 32 and pressing about 3x225 (1.0 style, but when it gets heavy it tends to naturally become 2.0 style), and benching about 3x280. I took a couple months off lifting during the winter and it really didn't go away at all, but I was also shoveling snow constantly.

I did a google site search but I couldn't find anything with similar symptoms. I would tend to think its fine, but I have this worry in the back of my head that I'm grinding something out and heading for shoulder surgery. I don't suppose you have any insight?

Thanks.

You're pressing 225x3 with no pain, and you're worried about your shoulder?

My shoulder pops all the time. Whitewater Kayaking (think lots of torque on joint) and a break below the top of the humerus (along with dislocation) will do that. Pressing doesn't bother it, but benching aggravates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're pressing 225x3 with no pain, and you're worried about your shoulder?
    Fair enough. I've just managed to avoid injuries so far and this was a change from the norm, so it caught my attention. I'm probably just getting old.

Generally speaking, popping in a joint that isn't accompanied by simultaneous pain is clinically insignificant.

One of the theories for popping in synovial joints is that carbon dioxide bubbles accumulate in the joint and rapid movement of the joint allows the carbon dioxide to leave the joint causing the characteristic "pop". I am not totally convinced of this theory, but I know of no better theory.

You guys are lucky. I've been doing press ever since I started lifting many years ago but it's never been more than 60% of my bench. If I want to press 225 I'm going to need a bench around 400. Most I've ever done is an ugly basically standing bench press of 205 with a mid 3s bench.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Generally speaking, popping in a joint that isn't accompanied by simultaneous pain is clinically insignificant.
    Good to know, this is what I wasn't sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    One of the theories for popping in synovial joints is that carbon dioxide bubbles accumulate in the joint and rapid movement of the joint allows the carbon dioxide to leave the joint causing the characteristic "pop". I am not totally convinced of this theory, but I know of no better theory.
    Since there's an associated hindrance in the ROM, I'd imagine that can't be it, but as long as its not an issue it can be related to unicorns for all it really matters, hehe. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    You guys are lucky. I've been doing press ever since I started lifting many years ago but it's never been more than 60% of my bench. If I want to press 225 I'm going to need a bench around 400. Most I've ever done is an ugly basically standing bench press of 205 with a mid 3s bench.
    I just do alot of pressing all the time. I like it more than bench and its always seemed like a better lift to me. OTOH, I've always felt like my bench is slow and terrible at making progress, just finally closing in on 3 plates in a few weeks (I hope).