starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs up

Default Thumbs up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

This is a thank you for the implicit advice to hook grip the deadlift. This came through at ~ 5:25 in your Deadlift video for the Art of Manliness:

https://youtu.be/4AObAU-EcYE?t=325

I replaced my alternate/mixed grip with the hook grip on my work sets, and have carried it through to 1RM's. It hasn't failed yet. And it took only a few sessions to get over discomfort in the thumbs. More beneficial adaptations. Possibly, too, the symmetric muscle involvement from to the double overhand grip is alleviating some old shoulder pain.

Two thumbs up.

Vince

The hook grip is becoming more popular in powerlifting, possibly as a result of seeing enough bicep tendon avulsions to make some of them reconsider the supine hand.

6:40 is my favorite part

George Leeman recently pulled 909 pounds using hook grip a few weeks ago. The video's on the Tube if you're interested. He tore the shit out of his thumbs doing it, but it worked and it made him a bona fide Badass.

I'll admit I'm a pussy when it comes to hook grip, despite seeing all the vids of Michael Wolf managing it without a hitch. I have this silly fear of dislocating my thumb, despite apparently misunderstanding the mechanisms involved in such a thing. Ironically (or perhaps not), it's probably safer than the mixed grip which I use.

I probably need coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by lifter285 View Post
    6:40 is my favorite part
    I'm curious, what's being bleeped here? I thought he said "pussies" but it doesn't make sense that such a mild offense is censored.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    And it took only a few sessions to get over discomfort in the thumbs.
    You got over it? As in, it's no longer uncomfortable? How much weight are you pulling?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    You got over it? As in, it's no longer uncomfortable? How much weight are you pulling?
    Yes there is discomfort. But it's no longer a distraction. It still pinches, but now it's just "tight"; not an excruciating crush. The focus during the lift is elsewhere.

I'm pulling 405 lbs. Peanuts. I suppose it'd feel much worse at higher weights. I'm certainly not willing to tear up skin, regularly. But then, 900# is probably not in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    But then, 900# is probably not in my future.
    Not with that attitude.

Does anyone here tape their thumbs with the hook grip? Does this prevent tearing skin at higher weights?

I'm still doing the novice LP, so I have no experience of hooking with really heavy weights.

starting strength coach development program
    Tape is a really good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast