starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range of motion allowed to decrease as barbell shrugs get heavier?

Default Range of motion allowed to decrease as barbell shrugs get heavier?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been curious for a further explanation as to the reason(s) behind this. My question stems from the fact that all the major lifts in our training (and even accessory work like chin ups) do not allow for smaller/shorter Range of Motion, simply because the weight gets heavier.

For example:
    How can/does a 405 shrug with, say, a 0.5"-1" ROM produce value compared to a 'deeper' shrug at 225 with a 2.5"-3" ROM?

Also, at what point is the ROM so small for barbell shrugs that you're technically not actually doing a shrug of any worth?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeremy (M-T)

Interesting question. It has to do with the nature of the ROM in the exercise. In a squat, the ROM of the motion is defined by the hips and knees. If by the ROM of a shrug you mean the elevation of the AC joint, your criterion is quite different. This is why shrugs are not considered a major exercise. They are useful for the deadlift for a couple of reasons.

1. The short ROM eventually becomes so short that it's actually isometric as the weight gets up above the deadlift 1RM. Since the role of the traps in the deadlift is isometric anyway, this is fine because it overloads the trap function.

2. Since the shrug starts above the knees to permit the heavier weight, it acts as an overload for the hip extensors and the erectors too.

Many record deadlifts have been performed without this overload, so heavy shrugs are optional. But they do make your traps grow, and the overload is useful for the reduction in perceived "heaviness" during a big pull. A 405 shrug is not "heavy," and 225 is not a shrug weight for a male lifter.

"Is the big bad government "oppressing" you -- Wah, wah, stomp, stomp?" Depends on whose government is in power, I suppose.

So say your DL is at 405x5, what would be a good weight for shrugs? 455x3x2?

505x5 or better. This is in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    505x5 or better. This is in the book.

What about a geezoid (51) novice deadlifting 260? shrug 360?

There is no reason for a novice to do barbell shrugs. They are a late intermediate/advanced exercise. This is also in the book.

Wait a minute--he's 51-- he can't deadlift 3x/week. Do you not consider shrugs a useful assistance/accessory in some kind of rotation for older dudes? Reason I ask is I love to shrug and, although I don't think they really help my deads much, they're the only thing I can do approaching 500 pounds. And besides, traps.

Okay. Sorry. I have read the books. I was just reading this thread, and jumped in with my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    Do you not consider shrugs a useful assistance/accessory in some kind of rotation for older dudes?
    Sure, for older dudes that deadlift 500.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sure, for older dudes that deadlift 500.
    CRipptology.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast