starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Injuries /Pain and Strength

Default Back Injuries /Pain and Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a conservative/Libertarian. But I do listen to NPR on my 1.5 hr. drive to work, as FM morning radio makes my skin crawl and my crappy radio doesn't pick up AM.

So, this morning, I heard an NPR article on how some third world populations have a nearly 0 rate of spinal issues and no back pains. Some of these populations regularly have women bending over in the fields for 6-7 hrs. a day with no back issues.

The conclusions drawn by the author who visited and studied several of these populations is that these populations have a more natural spine shape (J curve vs S shape) due to better posture. The reason for the better posture?

"In other words, it's not that the J-shaped spine is the ideal one — or the healthiest. It's what goes into making the J-shaped spine that matters: "You have to use muscle strength to get your spine to look like a J shape," he says.

So Gokhale has somehow figured out a way to teach people to build up their core muscles without them even knowing it. "Yes, I think that's correct," Mummaneni says. "You're not going to be able to go from the S- to the J-shaped spine without having good core muscle strength. And I think that's key here."

Strength.

Thought you guys might enjoy (even though it is NPR LOL)

Lost Posture: Why Indigenous Cultures Don't Have Back Pain : Goats and Soda : NPR

Excellent idea for an article. Thanks.

But as soon as you suggest the best means (basic barbell training w/ heavy weights) to arrive at "J-shaped spine - having good core muscle strength" to an NPR-type- person . . . well . . . I don't have to tell you where that's gonna go . . . .

I started experiencing pain in my side from minor scoliosis when I was around 22 years old. Building the muscles around my spine basically cured everything.

On a somewhat related note, this article seems a little silly. As someone who comes from a third world country, most "indigenous cultures" look either fat or emaciated. Most have bad posture.

Maybe something more intellectually honest would be "Why those engaging in regular physical activity don't have back pain".

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    But as soon as you suggest the best means (basic barbell training w/ heavy weights) to arrive at "J-shaped spine - having good core muscle strength" to an NPR-type- person . . . well . . . I don't have to tell you where that's gonna go . . . .
    Of course the solution isn't strength training using ergonomic barbell positions with good form and progressive weights. That's just silliness. The Real Solution(TM) is to decimate the middle class with wealth redistribution and force all the non-elites (this means you) into an agrarian existence of subsistence farming. Conveniently, this is also The Real Solution(TM) to virtually all our first world problems, be it [s]global warming[/s] climate change, income inequality, racism, fracking...etc. etc. Who are you to argue with science?!

Thanks for posting this. I was yelling at the radio. Research into "indigenous people" was required to come to a conclusion that using the muscles in your back more often helps reduce the incidence of back pain?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Don't assume everyone who wants to lift barbells and be strong shares your political leanings.

Wait... There are Leftists here???? And you're a Leftist???

I do a lot of hiking and backpacking in the wilderness. One thing I have come to understand is that there are as many left-leaning as libertarian and right-leaning people enjoying the outdoors. They all have something to offer in a discussion of backpacking and other outdoor activities. People come off looking like idiots if they assume everyone who enjoys a particular activity shares a particular political leaning. "*Wink wink* those weakling leftists amirite?!" It's an ignorant assumption, not based in fact.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I do a lot of hiking and backpacking in the wilderness.
    Then you're obviously a leftist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast