starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulking and cutting

Default Bulking and cutting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How do the intermediate/advanced programs in PPST3 take into account when you have to cut weight? For instance if you are training with the Texas method are you assuming that the lifter is always on a bulk throughout the program without ever having to cut? Basically I am just wondering what your personal thoughts are on bulking and cutting cycles? Thanks

Is this not addressed in the book?

My apologies. I just checked on the kindle and you do briefly discuss it. That said a lot of bodyfat percentages are thrown around and you have specifically stated that you would like to see a lifter 10-20% on these boards but for example if a powerlifter is 220 and 15% hes obviously going to have a hard time competing with a 10%er. That said do you not think it would then be wise for the 15% to go through a cut period for better body composition and thus more competitive?

When you are cutting you basically focus on keeping your CNS stimulated with higher intensity training. Lots of singles and doubles will help maintain strength as the weight falls. You'll need to feel that heavy weight frequently or you'll lose it.

Traditional volume work like 5x5 will go to shit. DE work is probably going to serve you better for volume accumulation.

I"m down 34 pounds in the last several months and have basically used an approach like this:

Monday - Bench Singles
    Tuesday - Squat Singles + Speed Deadlift
    Thursday - Bench Volume (Speed)
    Friday - Squat volume (speed) + heavy Deadlift

Strength is down for sure, but I haven't completely tanked

Another question I had related to this post is in your clarification article you bring up the point that after a trainee "cleans up" their diet that their bodyfat and this would entail the lifter to go from ~19-20% back to ~15-17% for healthy athletic males. So my question is does that effect the programming during the recomp period or are you able to maintain progression even though you are moderating your bodyfat pretty deep into novice progression? Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    How do the intermediate/advanced programs in PPST3 take into account when you have to cut weight? For instance if you are training with the Texas method are you assuming that the lifter is always on a bulk throughout the program without ever having to cut? Basically I am just wondering what your personal thoughts are on bulking and cutting cycles? Thanks
    I have found being at maintenance plausible if you are rotating between 1)volume work and 2)DE work per PPST3 for several cycles, and when the gains on 5x5 halt rotating to 2)maximal effort work and DE work per PPST3.

Trying to cut on a program like Texas Method in my opinion is not optimal given the demands this program places you the trainee (but at the same time please appreciate the fact that you will never make gains as quickly as you will on another program, except Starting Strength when you just begin training). Also, I have found given the 5 lb increase per week (whether it be on volume day or ME/intensity day), you will stall quicker if you maintain weight or cut as compared to bulking throughout.

I suppose the debate comes into play whether or not you are willing to take longer period of time to increase your lifts as compared to just bulk and then shed the fat later on. I would be curious to know if you end up ultimately at the same spot after bulking and cutting, as compared to just being at maintenance the whole time (and this is exactly what I'm testing as a 6'1 230 lb lifter on my 23rd week of texas method).

Every week I have a dilemma (should I just bulk to drive my 5 lb increases every week in the most aggressive manner) or do I take the more patient route and minimize fat gain, but understand I will stall quicker. I think a lot of this had a tradeoff once you reach a reasonable bodyweight - just my 2 cents.

but for example if a powerlifter is 220 and 15% hes obviously going to have a hard time competing with a 10%er. That said do you not think it would then be wise for the 15% to go through a cut period for better body composition and thus more competitive?
    How is this obvious?

Well maybe it isn't so obvious. I'm fairly new to this strength stuff as I was a non strength athlete in my younger years so please forgive my ignorance.

Another question I had related to this post is in your clarification article you bring up the point that after a trainee "cleans up" their diet that their bodyfat would moderate and this would entail the lifter to go from ~19-20% back to ~15-17% for healthy athletic males. So my question is does that effect the programming during the recomp period or are you able to maintain progression even though you are moderating your bodyfat pretty deep into novice progression? Thank you again!
    sorry fixed

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    This article also mentions "reiging in bodyfat" if the lifter gets to 20% during his progression. That does not make sense because how can you lose bodyfat and continue to progress on a program without adding muscle? You cannot gain muscle without adding bodyfat much less losing boyfat as a natural lifter. Unless you are saying that it is possible to "reign in bodyfat" while still progressing then that would entail that tou have to program for a cut and that you cannot "permabulk". Am I right or am i wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast