starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should lifting be fun?

Default Should lifting be fun?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mark,

Throughout the past few years I have tried various barbell programs. I don't really find it fun. Any tips to make the workouts more enjoyable?

I do feel that barbell work yields the best results and I'd like to stick with that, however I'm open to other ideas to build muscle (body weight, yoga, etc.)

Thank you and your book is very helpful!

- Jake

Unproductive effort is seldom fun. "Various programs" are almost always unproductive.

Studying isn't fun, at least it wasn't while I was in college. I had much rather been out drinking and chasing women. Owning my own business feels the same way. I'm still hard at work while other folks are clocking out of their 8-5.

There's a reason why most people aren't smart, successful small business owners, and strong. It's hard work. Hard work is almost never fun, which dovetails with Ripp's article about mental fortitude over on PJ.

What makes lifting more enjoyable is lifting with other people and training those who are just getting into lifting. Post workout meals of chicken wings, steak, cheeseburgers, BBQ, and good alcohol also makes it a bit more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterrocks23 View Post
    I do feel that barbell work yields the best results and I'd like to stick with that, however I'm open to other ideas to build muscle (body weight, yoga, etc.)

- Jake
    If you decide to use yoga to build muscle, don't forget to adopt the vegan diet to go along with it.

lifting is satisfying, but not fun. Fun is a moment of enjoyment in time - it happens without much effort and while nice, is not fulfilling. Satisfaction is the result of an accumulation of good outcomes, viewed as a whole.

Setting PRs is fun. Train to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    If you decide to use yoga to build muscle, don't forget to adopt the vegan diet to go along with it.
    Combine that with NESS, and you'll be golden.

Progress is fun. Becoming stronger is fun. Seeing more weight on the bar is fun. Manhandling weight that used to pin you to the ground is fun. Powercleans are fun. Becoming, larger, denser, harder, more masculine is fun. Being around others who value these things and who (therefore) share many of your same senses of humour, values and worldview is fun. Because doing the program allows these things to happen DTFP is fun.

If you don't think these things are fun, then fuck it. Go get skinny somewhere and tell yourself you are healthy. Go on. Life's too short. Don't worry, I'll help your wife carry the piano into the house.

"Do not do what you want, then you may do what you like"

starting strength coach development program
    The prospect of going in to lift can be fun or daunting on any given day. But it's always fun when you make or exceed your goal weight and reps for that particular day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast