starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Research into the activation levels of the gluteus medius during low bar squat

Default Research into the activation levels of the gluteus medius during low bar squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach:
    Are you aware of any research studies on the activation levels of the gluteus medius during the performance of the low bar squat? Specifically, any electromyography studies?

From a purely visual perspective, it doesn't look like this muscle group would be very involved in the performance of this movement, certainly not as involved as the gluteus maximus or other muscles in the posterior chain.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Please explain why a sane person would be concerned with this question.

is this a lead in to the Bret Contreras Pubmed article from a few days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    ass man or tit man?
    yes, please

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    ass man or tit man? leg man? foot man? trans man? these are the important questions
    What about a vagitarian kind of man? I, for one, am tired of the discrimination among breasts and butts and legs. #AllBodyPartsMatter!

The research studies I've seen on the gluteus medius suggest that there are a host of musculoskeletal problems associated with weakness in this area, including knee, back and hip pain. If the low bar squat primarily works the gluteus maximus (to the exclusion of the gluteus medius), then my concern would be that an imbalance of these two muscle groups might lead to some of these issues in some lifters, even if they are performing the movement correctly.

I'm trying to understand why a couple of my best lifters complain from time to time about knee "tightness" -- nothing major, just an annoying "tightness". One of them said -- "it feels like my knee could use a chiropractic adjustment." They both know how to squat, and will continue to squat. I can add an exercise or two that specifically addresses the strengthening of the gluteus medius; but I don't want to waste their time with those exercises if the squat itself will correct the problem.

Sorry Coach if this sounded a bit insane.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    is this a lead in to the Bret Contreras Pubmed article from a few days ago?
    Yes sir, that's what prompted the question.

Quote Originally Posted by pburkhalter View Post
    If the low bar squat primarily works the gluteus maximus (to the exclusion of the gluteus medius), then my concern would be that an imbalance of these two muscle groups might lead to some of these issues in some lifters, even if they are performing the movement correctly.
    Explain how this might occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Explain how this might occur.
    Maybe he is talking about eccentric/concentric work. I also think that Occam's razor applies on the "knee tightness" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Maybe he is talking about eccentric/concentric work. I also think that Occam's razor applies on the "knee tightness" thing.
    Okay, quad. Explain it for him.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, quad. Explain it for him.
    Well I have never had "knee tightness", actually I don't really understand what "tightness" means in this case but if I had I wouldn't attribute it to a "lack of gluteus medius involvement in the low bar back squat".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast