starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan? I have a much better idea: September is Strength Month

Default Joe Rogan? I have a much better idea: September is Strength Month

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How's about you guys do something harder -- and yet much more constructive -- than hounding Rogan about me and me about Rogan:

Get somebody to start barbell training next month. Your mom, dad, sister, or brother, or a family friend who needs to train for strength. I know it's easier to post on a board or Facebook about the lack of strength training in MMA, but really, who actually cares about this? Start worrying about the real world, and about people who need to know what we know.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How's about you guys do something harder -- and yet much more constructive -- than hounding Rogan about me and me about Rogan:

Get somebody to start barbell training next month. Your mom, dad, sister, or brother, or a family friend who needs to train for strength. I know it's easier to post on a board or Facebook about the lack of strength training in MMA, but really, who actually cares about this? Start worrying about the real world, and about people who need to know what we know.

Ideas?
    Rip...we're having our third child in October. I started w/ barbells not long after our second was born. My wife has seen a transformation in me that she wants for herself - strength-wise, body comp-wise, energy-wise, et cetera...so as soon as we get the doc's OK after our son gets here, she's starting w/ barbells...probably end October. The coolest thing is that she brought it up, not me.

Long story short...every one of us has people in our lives who has seen us go through a transformation to some degree and whether they'll admit it or not...they want it too!

This is an excellent idea and I applaud it. I'll see what I can do and I hope many other will do the same. It's a great way to try to make a positive difference in the world that surrounds us - teach someone how to get stronger and healthier.

Started training my 63 year old mother seven weeks ago. For various silly reasons, doctors always told her to never lift more than 6 kg. She deadlifted 32 kg today and is feeling better than ever.
    Also she has osteopenia (that's why we wanted to start lifting in the first place). Taking various drugs prescribed by doctors have only resulted in damaged kidneys. I'm looking forward to see the results of her next bone densitometry next year.

Excellent idea! And I serve as a perfect example for what can take place when someone reaches out -- the way you did with me, Rip.

The timing is great as well. Our 13 year old son, Sam, currently 6'1" 225 ish begins SS this Sunday. We have had it planned for a while. He has decided he is going to train diligently, eat like a bear and be ready when 9th grade comes around this time next year. He has this vision of trianing for a whole year straight and seeing the difference it makes.

All of our kids are involved in one manner or another since it issuch a large part of my life, they saw what barbell training did for me, and that we have a weight room right here at the house.

Pic with Sammy to come. I want to get a current one with me standing beside him.

Mark Bell was just on anyway so the barbells were covered in some now and people might be satisfied for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Our 13 year old son, Sam, currently 6'1" 225 ish begins SS this Sunday.
    Damn...that kid could end up being a freaking animal...

I have tried everything I can think of to get my wife to start barbell training - or any kind of training at all, whether it's yoga, walking, whatever - with exactly zero success. I see her already well down the path of her father, who was weak and increasingly feeble for the last fifteen years of his life, and bedridden for the last five.

Her solution to her osteoarthritis is to sit a lot, which I believe is the exact opposite of what she needs.

I despair to change this.

#SeptemberStrong because the people love hashtags.

Done all that already, Mom, brother, girlfriend, moms husband, and so on. Also dabbled in MMA for a while, but weren't interested in strength-training before after. (Well, a little, had a coach telling me I didn't really have the body-type suited for back-squats, too long legs or something, so he wanted me front-squatting. I have since learned this is bullshit.)

Now I am a Thelemite though, and a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis. This mlieu has not provided me lifting-buddies yet, but I'll talk about it in september and see if someone wants to join!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Ideas?
    The last couple of years I've watched my always strong, but never big, dad's muscles wither as he hits his mid 60s. I think he could benefit from SS, and somehow I think it would even help his mind last awhile longer if he had something like that to latch onto.
    This thread has inspired me to try to think of something.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast