starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefighter shift work.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looks like you'll be training every third day, instead of MWF.
    Would slightly increasing training volume on such a schedule be beneficial? The extra recovery time should make it possible but will it actually help anything?

You mean, 4 sets of 5 instead of 3? The test is constant progress. If 3 sets is enough, why add more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You mean, 4 sets of 5 instead of 3? The test is constant progress. If 3 sets is enough, why add more?
    That's what I meant. The progress-test thing makes a ton of sense really. I just find it thoroughly amazing it's possible to recover from a greater stress without also incurring a greater amount of adaptation.

The incremental stress is the 5 pounds, so that's the adaptation. If it only takes 3 sets to induce the adaptation, what does the extra volume do that needs to be done at this stage of training?

I've been a firefighter for 7 years and the 5 times I've ever done a full blown workout while on shift has always led to me being a worthless piece of shit when the bad call inevitably came in 30 min after I was done. Don't do it.

Train every third day like Mark recommended. Preferably the day before work so your fully rested for your session. It's not going to destroy your progress in the long run.

I've found that now a days I also need a training day off every month to month and a half.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I've been training every 3rd and it seems to work for me. I Do Not workout on shift because every time I have I've been dead on a call.

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtjoey View Post
    Thanks for the input. I've been training every 3rd and it seems to work for me. I Do Not workout on shift because every time I have I've been dead on a call.
    I am in a career field that demand a high level of physical commitment when on shift. I wanted to agree with not training during or right before a shift because it takes too much out of you if you have to do burst work. I train every 2-3 days and find I am able to support work and lifting from that frequency of training. Just to add my .02 cents.

I'd just work it around your schedule as best as possible, and if you need to on occasion early in the AM before work.

I had several runs at SSLP (2011-early 2014) before full completion and in retrospect it wasn't much of a problem.

The real fun begins when advance into intermediate level stuff and a 4th day/significant volume increases are necessary to continue progressing.

I still haven't nailed this down yet - with side work, shift trades and OT I catch a fair amount of 72 hour shifts and days lost to other gigs.

Alas, as with anything...if it's important, people find a way...otherwise they find an excuse.

JudoATunez Guest

Coach Ripp, the full body workout structure allows greater stress to be applied to the physiological system, and overall greater frequency per strength training movement, and this factors are also important for driving strength increases. Would you say that due to these facts, a person who can only train one lift per day would experience slower increases in strength, or the fact that he can now focus only on one exercise he may be able to work with heavier loads?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by obelix View Post
    Would slightly increasing training volume on such a schedule be beneficial? The extra recovery time should make it possible but will it actually help anything?
    A busy shift would not be considered recovery time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast