starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefighter shift work.

Default Firefighter shift work.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,
    I have a question for Mark or anyone who can help. I'm a firefighter and I work a 24on/48off shift cycle. With over time it's 48on/24off. I read the forum post about shift work, but the shift's listed were not like mine. And ideas on how I can accomplish S.S. training as a novice with my work schedule? Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge on this subject.

Looks like you'll be training every third day, instead of MWF.

Look-up Travis Rask. He has a log in the intermediate section. He is also a firefighter. Travis's Log

That is one of my options. Most weeks I will only train 2 times a week. Is that enough to see results?

Thank you Salvilla. I will look him up now.

This may be completely ignorant of me, but do you not have down time during those 48 hours? Could you talk your co workers into a rack in the house? Perhaps one that bolts to the wall like rogue makes? I delivered appliances when I was younger and every firehouse I delivered to had a decent sized area to workout, albeit I saw mostly dumbells. I am in the Midwest, perhaps there are different regulations depending on where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtjoey View Post
    That is one of my options. Most weeks I will only train 2 times a week. Is that enough to see results?
    It is sub-optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by PoundTheRock View Post
    Could you talk your co workers into a rack in the house? Perhaps one that bolts to the wall like rogue makes?
    I'm not a firefighter, but the first thing I would worry about would be having to respond to a fire immediately after finishing a heavy squat workout. I would probably train after my shift ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is sub-optimal.
    "So our ideal candidate for the SS program is a 20 year old male, about 5'6, and fathered by Bo Jackson and Marion Jones. He would be enrolled in about 9 hours worth of course work at a local community college, thus allowing for a maximal amount of sleep and a minimal amount of stress. He would not work and would play no sports. He would still be living out of Mom & Dad's house, and living off their groceries. Mom & Dad's house would be equidistantly positioned between Strong Gym and IHOP.

If you do not find yourself in this position then your training could be consider sub-optimal."

-Andy Baker

Exactimundo. Everybody has problems to solve. I wouldn't solve them by training at the firehouse. Too many things can go wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    "So our ideal candidate for the SS program is a 20 year old male, about 5'6, and fathered by Bo Jackson and Marion Jones. He would be enrolled in about 9 hours worth of course work at a local community college, thus allowing for a maximal amount of sleep and a minimal amount of stress. He would not work and would play no sports. He would still be living out of Mom & Dad's house, and living off their groceries. Mom & Dad's house would be equidistantly positioned between Strong Gym and IHOP.

If you do not find yourself in this position then your training could be consider sub-optimal."

-Andy Baker
    This is probably the funniest thing I have ever read on this site. It always cracks me up when people list all the reasons they can't lift weights, as though the rest of us have nothing to do and no other obligations. People find time for the things that are important to them. If they can't, they make it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast