starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USA Weightlifting Coach Cert vs Starting Strength Cert vs CrossFit Weightlifting Cert

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We don't discuss our attendees' performance on this public forum.
    Sorry if it sounded like I was fishing for his performance -- I was just pointing out that I felt Kyle was being self-deprecating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    Correct. I can talk about the seminar experience, I don't know about the exam. Feel free to email me if you want to talk about it.
    Thanks -- I have taken a seminar. If I can manage to get enough experience coaching, I may take another, and ask to be evaluated for coaching next time. But...

Depending on the circumstances, the quality of the failing exam, and solely at our discretion, we may offer a good coach an opportunity to audit the seminar and then take a makeup exam. This one is not easier. If this one is failed, you're through.
    that does raise the stakes somewhat. Knowing this, if I ever do take that step and ask for the evaluation, I'll do some more planning. I can only imagine how devastating it would be to pass the platform, be invited to take the test, but have enough prior commitments for the subsequent week that you do a poor job on the exam, and it's gone forever. With this info, I'll make damned sure that I've got a block of time available in case I get to write the test.

I understand the reasoning for this, and it makes the credential that much more valuable in my eyes, but it's really nice to have the policy spelled out, so we have a little better idea of how to prepare.

The webpages did previously say that if you failed the written exam, you could audit another seminar at no cost and retake it. Certainly this gave the impression you could redo it endlessly, provided you were willing to go to and sit through (it sounded like you wouldn't participate, just watch) more seminars.
    No, Kyle, they never said that.
    At one point, I certainly had the impression that I could "audit" at reduced cost, and I have no memory of where that impression came from. So I asked about it, and had that cleared up more than a year ago, before I went to the seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Shit. You're a new at this making money thing. You could learn a to ng or two from the other associations...
    Money is a nice thing with which to cushion oneself against thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to. But integrity and having lived one's life as best one can while being true to one's fundamental and guiding principles is more important. Refusing to be mastered by one's desire for things while striving to have left a lasting body of work for others is a noble endeavor.

Rip is fortunate in that what he knows and has learned (along with so many others in his cohort, not the least of whom, stef) can be passed on to those who want to be the best they can be.

Thanks, man. With any luck, I'll see you in a year or so.

From a trainee standpoint i can say the following:

I had an SS coach help me finally learn how to effectively perform the squat a few years ago. I interacted with him quite a bit in this period and he knew what we were doing and why we were doing it.

I have interacted with at least 10 different coaches that were either xfit or usawl, due to my consistency at the gym: they had no idea why they'd cue or teach a lift in a specific way, they had no idea how to programme for the 'average joe', or the real basics of programming in general; and it has even gotten to the point where they've asked me to please help them with their squat/press/programming.

To me, in a nutshell, that explains the difference: some passed a test and some have actual knowledge of strength and training. At the same time, I am very well aware that my xfit gym would not hire an SS coach, as would any xfit i know in town, but they require trainers to be Xfit. Which is sad and explains other issues, but mostly that sadly, the opportunities for SS coaches seem to be a little slim unless they have a way of starting their own gym.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgmo View Post
    Which is sad and explains other issues, but mostly that sadly, the opportunities for SS coaches seem to be a little slim unless they have a way of starting their own gym.
    Every SSC in the country is as busy training clients as their schedule allows. Most are swamped with business. Nothing sad going on here.

Every SSC in the country is as busy training clients as their schedule allows. Most are swamped with business. Nothing sad going on here.
    That is great to hear!

Sorry, i forgot to finish that sentence the same way as the one before: here, where i live and go to gyms and meet people that run/manage/work at gyms. I don't doubt in places where people value training more, the SS coaches are thriving! The point of my response was not to demerit SS coaches, just that as far as if one is trying to become a better more knowledgeable type of coach the SS cert (and as you say many hours of training with the method) are the way to go. Again from my POV/standpoint as a trainee.

It's true. I know I've said it on the boards before, but the 2 greatest benefits of the SSC credential, from a business perspective (meaning I'm leaving aside how beneficial a learning experience one receives from the seminar itself) are that people find you in the SSC directory, and that people find you in the SSC directory. Meaning not only is there plenty of business, but the clients you are fortunate to deal with on a daily basis don't show up wanting or expecting to be walked through a circuit of dumbbell curls, Bosu ball planks, and TRX rows. They actually want to learn to squat, bench press, deadlift, and press, and they've sought you out based on the fact that your ability to teach them to do so has been vetted by Rip and staff. I can't speak to how this compares to any of the other certifications/credentials out there.

Starting Strength has sold in excess of 400,000 copies. There is a big demand for this product.

We've occasionally had people claim that the SSC credential has no commercial value--especially right after we first instituted our rigorous MOC process.

They're fucked in the head. That's my diagnosis.

If you are an SSC in good standing listed on the websites, you quickly find that you have a national-level funnel sending prospects your way. Prospects who already know what you do. When they walk through your door, they're already sold on the product. All you have to do is not fuck it up and they will be clients.

And they'll remain clients, because unlike virtually every other "fitness product" out there, this one gets results. You don't have to gladhand or schmooze or tell your clients that they look better or their movement is more supple or their chi is more integrated. All they have to do is look at their fucking log and they know they're getting what they're paying for.

Yes. I've been and bombed twice, the first time badly, the second time not as badly.
    You might have passed if you weren't on your phone on Facebook during the entire seminar... Pretty disrespectful to the speakers and the fellow attendees.

starting strength coach development program
    No, that had nothing to do with why Kyle failed. I didn't even notice that. But, we don't discuss these things on the boards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast