starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing atrophy with numerous training injuries

Default Preventing atrophy with numerous training injuries

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've managed to obtain a herniation compressing the C6 nerve root on one side, though I have unilateral weakness from my jawline to the nipple level, and a complete absence of reflex in the ulnar side of the forearm. On the opposite side, a SLAP detachment and a complete subscapularis tear, with no ability to lift my hand off of my back.

Training history: 22, 204lbs, 6 months of starting strength followed by 6 months of texas method, and just over 5 months of a 4-day texas method split (SQ/PC, BP/PR, SQ/DL, BP or PR/Chins). I was also doing muay thai monday/tuesday/thursday. 445x5 squat, 395x5 deadlift, 215x5 bench, 180x5 overhead.

I decided to gaze towards the ceiling for no reason on my last rep of 1x5 squats last thursday, which caused immediate weakness in one side of my neck. On friday, during the first rep of my 1x5 press work set, the weak sided arm collapsed after the bar was driven off of my delts, causing a shock of pain through the contralateral bicep.

Two month wait for corticosteroids for the neck, no timeline yet for surgery should they be ineffective, nor for shoulder surgery. Is there anything I can do to keep active prior to treatment? I'm not sure I can get my shoulder into position for a back squat. Would front squatting be safe with the herniation? And is there anything that can work my upper body safely, perhaps an exercise bike with uprights?

You're saying that you destroyed your shoulder and ruptured your C6 disc under the bar? Please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're saying that you destroyed your shoulder and ruptured your C6 disc under the bar? Please clarify.
    Yes.

Do exactly what your doctor tells you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by aafedd View Post
    445x5 squat, 395x5 deadlift, 215x5 bench, 180x5 overhead.
    Your squats aren't deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Your squats aren't deep enough.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by aafedd View Post

Thanks for the advice.
    So how can it be so far ahead of your other lifts?

So how can it be so far ahead of your other lifts?
    T rex arms, weak grip, weakish back (his squat is quite vertical), the ideal squatting anthropometry: long heel to knee, short femur, long torso (pic seems to show that). Lots of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    T rex arms, weak grip, weakish back (his squat is quite vertical), the ideal squatting anthropometry: long heel to knee, short femur, long torso (pic seems to show that). Lots of reasons.
    I know some powerlifters eventually see their squat surpass their deadlift due to some of the factors you've listed, but not this early in their training advancement, and that doesn't explain why it's do disproportionate to his pressing lifts either (short arms help them, in fact). His squat was about 100 lb heavier than than I'd expect it to be based on his other lifts, and I thought it might have been pertinent to his neck injury.

starting strength coach development program
    I know some powerlifters eventually see their squat surpass their deadlift due to some of the factors you've listed, but not this early in their training advancement, and that doesn't explain why it's do disproportionate to his pressing lifts either (short arms help them, in fact). His squat was about 100 lb heavier than than I'd expect it to be based on his other lifts, and I thought it might have been pertinent to his neck injury.
    Really, the guy might have short fingers. This type of thing happens frequently. I'm more concerned about the injuries, since I've never even heard of a shoulder like that during a press. And since I don't have all the info, I'm "punting", as it were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast