starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gout and lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Any closeted alcoholics dancing around the mention of booze consumption when discussing gout should at least switch to wine:

Beer and Gout

Thanks DeriHughes. That's music to my ears. Sorry to hear about your recent flare up though. I'll take your advice. It sounds solid to me. That's good news that you're able to keep eating a high protein diet. Maybe my doctor is just clueless. If you listen to most doctors you'd never deadlift or squat or anything so I say to hell with quacks!

Haha I'm Welsh, not Irish. I do drink but not often these days. I used to be a proper piss head when I was young though. I like real ales, scrumpy cider and most German beers. Erdinger changed my life lol

Quote Originally Posted by Man.with.gout View Post
    Haha I'm Welsh, not Irish. I do drink but not often these days. I used to be a proper piss head when I was young though. I like real ales, scrumpy cider and most German beers. Erdinger changed my life lol
    Seems like we have many things in common.

Drinking less booze does help a bit, but I find staying well hydrated is more important personally.

Well, you know then that when the Welsh get a few beers under their belts they start singing. I was not as bad as you of course but I stopped drinking beer and such in my early twenties, now I drink earl grey tea with a dash of milk, Ha!

Hahaha that's so true and it's usually Delilah or something like that lol. Nothing wrong with earl grey. I like peppermint tea. Tea= gains!!! Thanks again Deri Hughes. I will definitely try your methods and will make sure I stay hydrated. I'd like to be able to drink for my 30th birthday

Hahaha that's so true and it's usually Delilah or something like that lol. Nothing wrong with earl grey. I like peppermint tea. Tea= gains!!! Thanks again Deri Hughes. I will definitely try your methods and will make sure I stay hydrated. I'd like to be able to drink for my 30th birthday
    Just to let you know Tom that there are some folk around here that laud Balcones Baby Blue and other such rocket fuel. However the prime goal is the training, and if you want to keep lifting into your old age stay away from strange sheilas and moonshine. Ha!

Another lifter with gout checking in here. It certainly is miserable but lifting has been the most tolerable exercise for me since it generally doesn't involve a lot of flexion of the forefoot. I lifted through a fairly severe attack of it this spring.

I wouldn't worry about animal-based protein per se (organ meats are supposed to be particularly bad but they're not generally something I eat anyway. If they're a big part of your diet you may want to evaluate for yourself). Low fat dairy products have been shown by some studies to be helpful so I would go ahead with all the milk and whey protein you can stomach. My triggers seem to be shellfish, weightloss, stress, and alcohol in roughly that order. Running has frequently triggered a flare-up for me since it puts additional impact on the big toe area.

Allopurinol can help long term (I believe it enhances your body ability to excrete uric acid), if you are not already on it ask your doctor about a prescription. Colchicine (prescription, here in the US) is helpful in treating the pain of a flare. I've found Aleve (naproxen is the generic name) to be the best over the counter drug for treating it.

Staying very well hydrated and taking fish oil capsules also seems to help me.

Wise words Wal haha. I'm too fat pull any sheilas at the moment unless they are strange and are chubby chasers lol but I will beat them off with a stick when I lose weight and claim self defence.

brkriete I know what you mean about lifting being the only training you can do with gout. I used to do all calisthenics and there's no way my foot or toe would bend enough for a push up.

Also thank you for the info about diet and medication. That's a big help and I will get on my doctor's case as I am not on meds at the moment

starting strength coach development program
    Another lifter here with gout.

I believe the things that precipitate and attack are highly individual so you'll have to find what does it to you via experimentation.

For me, it's largely tied to hydration. If I stay dehydrated for too long, I'll get some sort of attack. However, the addition of allopurinol has helped greatly. It inhibits the formation of uric acid if I recall. You're usually an over producer of uric acid or an under "excreter". Allopurinol works by making you produce less. Other drugs work on the kidneys to help you excrete more if memory serves. Allopurinol has been around for ages. It works well for me. I rarely have and attack any more and if I do, they are a fraction of the severity. Also, I'm just less achy in my feet in general.

Diet based intervention seems to only make a minimal impact on gout for me. A doctor spouting off diet recommendations as a good course for more severe cases is misinformed in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast