Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ''knee twist'' injury, and considerations

JudoATunez Guest

Default ''knee twist'' injury, and considerations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Coach Rippetoe
    I've been reading several threads across the forums regarding knee injuries and other types of ligament injury. General recommendations seem to be to train what is trainable with caution, to ''rest-up'' the injured area, and to gain some weight.

This night (8th of September), when I was doing randori at the national team, I went for a foot-sweep. My right foot was planted on the ground. My opponent counter-attacked, by rotating my torso and trying to land on top of me. This was done very quick, and my right knee, which has suffered a MCL injury 6 months ago, suffered a forceful twist towards the inside.

The fisiotherapist tested the stability of the MCL, and it seemed to be ok, as my knee could resist medial rotation. I iced it every hour until I went to sleep.

I woke up with pain on the inside of the knee, but I could stand on it without pain. I wore a knee brace while training, and could do my deadlifts and overheads presses without any pain (I didn't do powercleans, as it's generally recommend to avoid these in this type of situation). Still, I felt some pain and difficulty while walking, fully flexing the knee, and fully straightening the leg.

Sorry for the rather long post, but I wanted to ask you, coach, and the board, advice on how to deal with this ''injury''.

But I also wanted to ask you opinion regarding an important subject for me. I want to try to achieve the best results I can in my sport. But I can't do that if I keep injuring my knee.
    I've been trying to maintain my bodyweight (60kg) in an attempt to be more competitive at my sport. But as I start to think more long-term, i regret not having used the LP times to increase my bodyweight. More muscle mass would mean that there would be more muscle mall surrounding my joints, reducing my chance of injury. Coach, would you recommend that I gain some more weight (I am only 161cm/5 feet and 3 inches tall), as that will also help drive my strength? I understand that this might mean that I won't be competitive for a while, but I am trying to think long-term. I want to compete for as long as I can, but I can't compete if I am injured.

Forgive this very long post, as there are very important training-related questions you have to deal with.

I think you may have a small tear in your medial meniscus, impossible to verify from here, but sounds like your symptoms. Id lay off squats for about 2 workouts and start back as pain through the ROM permits.

The larger question is easy. If you continue to eat to stay small, you'll be small. I really detest the emphasis by weight-class-sports coaches on making weight and staying small. They have no thought for the future health or athletic potential of the kid -- they just know that they need to fill a weight class. Short-sighted, selfish, and counterproductive.

JudoATunez Guest

Thank you for your answer, coach, in spite of the limited information I provided to you, I now feel more calm, as I get a better idea of what's going on in the knee.
    I was afraid that it was an injury to the meniscus, because of the limited blood supply.
    Regarding training, I have been squatting 1 to 2 times a week, so, that means one week away from squatting. Would you recommend any mobility stuff, or icing and rest will do the trick?

Regarding the second question: I know you're right, coach Ripp. I understand that I may have been limiting myself over the years, but, It's the only way I am allowed to compete. Being young and impatient, I see that I may have been compromising my long term development. It's a tough decision, because it might mean failure over the short-term, but I understand that I need to stick with the lessons that I've been taught, and start looking at things over the long-term.

Most every active human over the age of 25 has at least one menisceal injury. They are not usually surgical situations. It will settle down in a few days, and if it doesn't, then it's something else. So, calm down even more.

Question: how do you know for sure that you won't be a more effective judoka at 5'4" or 5'5" and 165 or 181 pounds? Think long-term here, if judo is really your sport.

JudoATunez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Most every active human over the age of 25 has at least one menisceal injury. They are not usually surgical situations. It will settle down in a few days, and if it doesn't, then it's something else. So, calm down even more.

Question: how do you know for sure that you won't be a more effective judoka at 5'4" or 5'5" and 165 or 181 pounds? Think long-term here, if judo is really your sport.
    You're right. I am in worry because the blow was to the knee that was injured a couple months ago, the season had just started, and I recently entered college. But there is not point being in stress, as it will not make the knee heal faster.

Well, I don't know how to answer your question, coach. I have always been told that I would only make a lightweight because of my height, and because I haven't produced any significant results over the years.

Allow me to point out that your height might also be affected by nutrition, at some level.

JudoATunez Guest

Well, when I did the MRI because of the MCL injury, the doctor was laughing and said that my ''growth plates'' still hadn't ''closed''. Is this an indicator that I may or may not be able to grow a couple cm's taller?

IF you start eating like you want to grow.

IF you start eating like you want to grow.

JudoATunez Guest

starting strength coach development program
    I will try, coach. I will have to accept the fact that this might mean that I may not be able to compete short-term, but it also might mean that I can stay in the sport longer. I will try to have that long-term thinking. Training is not about today

Just to make sure, one week without squatting to see how the pain develops. In the meantime, would deadlifts and presses be acceptable, if no pain bothers the movements?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast