starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gout and lifting

Lightbulb Gout and lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark, My name is Nathan and I am quite new to weight training. I have been doing calisthenics for a while and can do one arm push ups and pistol squats, etc but when it comes to weightlifting I'm not very strong. I was eating a lot of meat and veg and drinking milk but not as much as you recommend in SS. Long story short, last week I woke up with excruciating pain in my foot. It's still there to some degree and my doctor has said it's gout due to my high protein diet. I also have psoriasis which means my uric acid levels are higher than the average person to begin with so my doctor said that a high protein diet is bad news for me. However, I have done some Googling and I came across an article '10 myths about gout' and according to that high protein is not a problem but the source of the protein is. It says that meat will cause a big rise in uric acid but plant based protein will not due to it's alkalinity. Is it possible to get as strong eating chickpeas and hemp, etc as it would if I were to eat meat. I would like to keep getting stronger but gout pain is unbearable. It's as bad as when I burnt my face with a light bulb when I was a kid, haha. Also I've heard that a palm full of protein should be eaten at each meal but would this same rule apply for plant based protein as I think they contain less protein than meat? Sorry for the long windedness (if that's a word) but I just love lifting and don't want to be a weak pussy all my life but I also want to be able to walk for the rest of my life. Thanks very much, Nathan

How old are you? H/W?

Just my 2c.
    I was here with the same issue about half a year ago. For me the gout is rather "special" because I'm 27. Some advices were given to me, and I'll just try to pass on what works for me:
    (1) Every gout is different. Different people react to different things. Find what's your problem, think what did you eat / drink the day before you woke up with a red tennis ball instead of your toe. (2) Beware the sweets, or fructose in particular. Fructose seems to be a big deal in elevating UA. I found out sweet is what triggers the attack for me. (3) When in acute phase - diclofenac works the best. Also, elevation and heat. Heat helps to dissolve the crystals in joints, which is the inflammation trigger. (4) Meat is often not such a problem doctors tell us. (5) The real deal is not really the joints / foot, it's the kidneys. Kidneys don't like high uric acid levels.
    Also, allopurinol can deal with the shit and I have no problems training. And hey, uric acid acts like a strong antioxidant and high blood levels are associated with considerably lower risk of neurodegenerative diseases. Welcome aboard.

Like you, OP, I have high uric acid levels (per my yearly blood work) and have been dealing with gout for years (47 y.o. male, family history as well). Early on, I found that eating a healthy serving of pineapple or cherries daily or every other day (or drinking 10 oz tart cherry juice) managed the gout flares pretty well to the point that they never impacted my training. I've also found that with the pineapple, cherries or cherry juice, I haven't had to modify my diet in the least and eat beef 5-7 days/week. Give it it a try before you swear off meat.

I'll be 30 in just over 2 weeks. I'm 5"11 and weigh 15 and a half stone

Gout totally sucks. To keep mine in check I start each morning with my anti gout cocktail... 1 oz of pure lemon juice in 6 oz's of water.
    I also take a daily Allopurinol, which your doctor should have already prescribed.
    Letting yourself get dehydrated can cause a flare up, drink lots of water.
    I eat a very high protein diet. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Man.with.gout View Post
    I'm 5"11 and weigh 15 and a half stone
    We use pounds or kilos on this board.

Thanks for all the comments fellas. I really appreciate your help. I'm from the UK so we don't use pounds but being the good sport that I am I will convert it for you. It's 224 pounds or 98kg. I know I have some weight to lose but any other advice such as the the guys above gave would be really helpful.

Got diagnosed with gout about a year ago (also have psoriasis, aged 35, 125kgs), lost a bit of weight, made sure I stayed better hydrated and started taking 2 grams of Vitamin C a day - follow up blood test 6 months later my UA levels were back to normal. I kept eating 230-250 grams of protein a day, including plenty of red meat. I have had a couple of attacks more recently so getting tested again but Naproxen sorts them out quickly and I haven't stopped training, or eating.

Don't stop eating meat. That is not the problem here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Man.with.gout View Post
    Thanks for all the comments fellas. I really appreciate your help. I'm from the UK so we don't use pounds but being the good sport that I am I will convert it for you. It's 224 pounds or 98kg. I know I have some weight to lose but any other advice such as the the guys above gave would be really helpful.
    What these well meaning lads have not told you is that gout is also caused by too much of that warm Guinness you drink mate. You need to drink lots of water without the hops in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast