starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: University Strength and Conditioning Coaching and why people should not bother.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Realistically, in what career are any ideas that an intern has going to be taken seriously? I think the only way SSCs are going to break into D1 is what Rip alluded to via Jordan's post about training somebody instead of bitching. A few SSC are going to have to personally break in and coach some high level high school prospects/early D1 players in the offseason well enough that when they come back, the coaches wonder what the hell happened. Or, even D2 or D3. Then that person is going to have to coach after their career. Plain and simple. Coaching, at least in football, is knit tight pretty well. Outsiders are definitely not welcome. And when there is so much money on the line, people are not apt to get away from groupthink.
    I think you misunderstand. we are not interested in breaking into collegiate strength and conditioning, because that would entail a devastating pay cut. We are interested in collegiate S&C coaches getting their heads out of their collective asses and doing their profession correctly and effectively. If and when we can help, we will, in the interests of the kids, but we don't need these jobs -- they need our help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you misunderstand. we are not interested in breaking into collegiate strength and conditioning, because that would entail a devastating pay cut. We are interested in collegiate S&C coaches getting their heads out of their collective asses and doing their profession correctly and effectively. If and when we can help, we will, in the interests of the kids, but we don't need these jobs -- they need our help.
    No argument there. I just don't see them pulling said head out of said ass anytime soon unless it comes from within. The capacity for suspension of disbelief of physics, anatomy, phys, etc is amazing in humans. I just like your option of stop bitching about why this system doesn't do this or that and instead focus on trying to get individuals to lift properly.

This is hopeless . . .
    Apparently there's a whole lot more interns, kids with online degrees and weekend certs, etc walking around than actually positions to be filled.
    Then the guys lucky enough get a job . . . they don't want to rock the boat. It'll never "happen from within".

Jon J's & Philly Mike's stories are completely demoralizing. (as far as the collegiate scene)

The degree is very easy to get at most schools, and there are far more interested and quite unqualified people for each internship than there are positions. Thus my advice to get a hard-science degree.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I went from $21,000/yr at SMU as the main asst strength coach to $49,000/yr as a middle school PE teacher/football/HS strength coach in Texas in the same year in 2000. Rip is right on this.

The few main big jobs pay well now but theres still PLENTY of 20-30k year fulltiime head strength coaching jobs out there getting 100's of resumes from brand new guys BEGGING to come work there and taking what they get so pay is always going to be like that..

I think alot (well some) of SC have the "intention" to do the right thing (lift heavy, squat, clean, pull etc) but they start young, get in over their head, have a "budget" and start buying crap they don't need (everybody wants to sell you the next new cutting edge training gadget, many fall prey to this then have to justify it instead of saying "I was wrong, this is crap"). As a new strength coach I was guilty of this and bought some silly bullshit but %90 of my workouts where heavy olifts one day and squat-push-pull the next (thanks to Boyd Epley and my Nebraska Internship)... Most places I've been in college the coaches really are ok with what you do in the wtroom but its the crap they want to add to the end of the lifting or the tests they want to do that they use to "evaluate you" that screws things up..

If your intention is to get their legs/back strong with lots of squats and cleans then work on speed with short sprints and agility with lots of change of direction drills your doing a good job. When the head coach comes in and tells you or the team thats not important to him and they will be tested in the "12 min run (how many laps can you make in 12 min-everyone) and the 225 rep bench test" the kids will end up training for that as that guy decides their playing time..

Then when they get their asses handed to them on the FB field the head guy will go to the AD and say "we just arent strong enough"

I left a college in Tenn cause this was what I went through... You cant fix stupid...

I left there and went to a school in NY and the Head Coach had me in the first FB staff mtg and welcomed me then said "coach, we are %100 receptive to anything you want us to do". Bought an elect 40 timer and didnt have one kid out of 110 that break 5.0. The following summer after an offseason in the squat rack and the platform (and speed and agility stuff in the summer) 40 kids broke 5.0 with a few in the 4.7 range..

Funny how that works...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12