starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of Omission

Default Dangers of Omission

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Constraints in time -and most importantly- adequate training space, have forced me to train only the squat, bench, and deadlift (following your set and rep prescriptions, Mr. Rippetoe) obviously omitting the press and power clean from the program. What are some potential dangers in training only the 3 movements listed following a heavy, 3 sets of 5 reps across approach (1x5 for deadlift) on a (non-consecutive) three-day-a-week program?

You omit the benefits of the press and clean: balanced shoulder strength and an incremental increase in power display. Danger!!

If you only bench press and neglect the balancing benefits of the OHP, you run the risk of shoulder problems. Your anterior deltoids will become overdeveloped and may pull your shoulders forward. This can make your AC joint miserable. This last bit may be semi-heretical, but if you can't power clean maybe barbell rowing might achieve some posterior deltoid balance to pull the shoulders back in line where they belong.

Fair enough. Then surely substituting (I know you love that word, Mr. Rippetoe) the press for the incline bench press of seated overhead press and the clean for the barbell row will be the best of all possible options.

Could you theoretically maintain the same weight increase from WO to WO as in SS, if you do the program the OP posted?

Quote Originally Posted by rm_sidell View Post
    Then surely substituting (I know you love that word, Mr. Rippetoe) the press for the incline bench press of seated overhead press
    What is "the incline bench press of seated overhead press"?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTambourineMan View Post
    Could you theoretically maintain the same weight increase from WO to WO as in SS, if you do the program the OP posted?
    What ITF are you typing about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is "the incline bench press of seated overhead press"?
    of = or I'm guessing.

I would imagine the OP has overhead height issues (why my stuff is in the garage vice basement). Given the likelihood that this is the space issue, I would guess that while far from optimal that seated press would be the choice here. My 1.5 centavos from the cheap seats.

Of=or. I don't understand why the spell check on my phone feels the need to replace one perfectly good word for another. But yeah, my ceiling in my training space is only 7 feet. So no overhead movements from a standing position and no explosive power movements (even though the bar doesn't go above the shoulders in the clean) I don't wish to bonk my cranium on my drywall ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What ITF are you typing about?
    He's asking whether it is feasible to sustain a smooth linear progression while training the bench press and deadlift three times a week given the omission of the alternated exercises (press and power clean).

starting strength coach development program
    Precisely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast