Am I too weak for 1st meet Am I too weak for 1st meet

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Am I too weak for 1st meet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    67

    Default Am I too weak for 1st meet

    • phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    I currently have following lifts.
    BP 250
    Deadlift 385
    Squat 290

    I am 44yo, I weigh 190. I have finished LP for everything but squat. Am not maxed out on these but had form issues which are improving. These are not impressive for sure. Should I try to lift for competition or wait until they are better. If so, what numbers are legit for my age and weight.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,289

    Default

    "Legit" is a rather fuzzy concept. Do you want to go to a meet? Or not?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Yes I would like to go. Just would really rather not look like idiot and don't know what to expect. Have no friends my age that power lift or do anything but 5ks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbinck1 View Post
    If so, what numbers are legit for my age and weight.
    A suggestion. Look up the records and results numbers in past meets in the federation, age, and weight class you intend to lift in. Let that be your guide. But if you want to go to a meet, go to one. There's a lot of respect from the younger lifters for people in the master's divisions.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Last place finishes ahead of those who didn't show up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    839

    Default

    OP,

    Just pick a meet that has a cool event T-shirt, go, do your best, and have fun. You won't regret it and it will be a learning experience.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbinck1 View Post
    Yes I would like to go. Just would really rather not look like idiot and don't know what to expect. Have no friends my age that power lift or do anything but 5ks.
    News Flash: You're going to look like an idiot at your first meet no matter how strong you are when you get up off your ass and decide to be an Athlete instead of just another guy in the gym. We all did.

  8. #8
    Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbinck1 View Post
    I currently have following lifts.
    BP 250
    Deadlift 385
    Squat 290

    I am 44yo, I weigh 190. I have finished LP for everything but squat. Am not maxed out on these but had form issues which are improving. These are not impressive for sure. Should I try to lift for competition or wait until they are better. If so, what numbers are legit for my age and weight.
    I think you'll find powerlifting competitions to be one of the most supportive environments around. Even though everyone is technically competing against each other, there's a lot of encouragement and respect between the competitors.

    If you want to do a meet, just show up and do your best. Train hard and do better the next time. Etc. etc.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    News Flash: You're going to look like an idiot at your first meet no matter how strong you are when you get up off your ass and decide to be an Athlete instead of just another guy in the gym. We all did.
    I looked like an idiot at the Fall Classic?!?

    Enter the meet, OP. If it's anything like the fall classic meet, you'll get nothing but support and encouragement from the other competitors. Do your best and your numbers don't matter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I looked like an idiot at the Fall Classic?!?
    You didn't know that??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •