starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IWF 2015 World Championships

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've seen several social media posts proclaiming Lovchev's 264 clean & jerk the heaviest ever, including Crossfit Weightlifting's instagram page. The significantly greater audience and participation rate engendered by Crossfit is certainly a good thing overall, but it irks me how little so many of these newer participants know about the history of their own sport. I'm a fan of weightlifting and powerlifting but far from the biggest, most rabid. I'm a bigger fan of the NFL, NBA, and MLB than I am of weightlifting and powerlifting. Yet I know the clean & press was contested until 1972, I know the weight classes were reshuffled twice in the not-too-distant past (thus wiping out previous world records), and I know that Pisarenko and Taranenko did 265 and 266, respectively. So this wasn't the heaviest clean and jerk ever performed, even though it's labeled as the "World Record."

I actually pointed this out on the CF Weightlifting instagram page, and they later corrected it, albeit without mentioning my comment. At least they didn't delete it.

It seems I am becoming the crotchety old man grouching "back in MY day...!" at the young-uns, but it just irks me a little. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that the average casual baseball fan knows Babe Ruth hit his 60 home runs in fewer games than they have today, for example, and that the 3 pointer wasn't always part of the NBA game, even if he doesn't know the exact year it was introduced. My feeling is that a fairly large percentage of the weightlifting fans who discovered this brand new sport since 2010 or so don't have a basic knowledge of its history.

Don't be a barbell hipster, Wolf. To be fair, CFers are tangentially tied to weightliftng at best; lots of the CF folks I've met at local meets were there simply because they figured it'd be a fun thing to do on a Saturday since they already knew how to do the lifts, i.e. they're not wading through Charniga's articles or watching the 1979 Soviet National Championships to break down Rigert's technique frame by frame....er...not that I do that on sexually frustrated, bourbon-soaked Saturday nights or anything.....

Also, they're confused specifically because as you probably know, the weight class rearrangements were deliberately meant to be obfuscating, as weightlifting in the 1980s was the most shamelessly doped up sport at the Olympics and was on the chopping block to make room for yet another form of horseriding; clearing out the old records was a misguided attempt by the fools at IWF central to try to clean the slate and restart under supposedly stronger doping regulations. So the CFers are understandable in being confused, and teeeeccchnically they're right in that 264 is the heaviest ever under the current set of rules...i.e. according to the tests, Lovchev has never tested positive for the stuff that Taranenko was openly and legally using.

S.S.D. & Tom D:

drugs

end post

MBasic:

stronger than us

end post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I've seen several social media posts proclaiming Lovchev's 264 clean & jerk the heaviest ever, including Crossfit Weightlifting's instagram page.
    This was the heaviest lift ever done at a world championships. Not the heaviest ever - 3 lbs off - but still worth noting as such.

Off topic:
    Here's LX working up to a heavy single at 605, high bar. Damn close to the 165 raw world record squat at that weight - 610. I can't even comprehend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI0L7E_5Qac

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    MBasic:

stronger than us

end post
    This ^

It doesn't matter if it is because of drugs, or because of bionic implants, they are stronger.

If USAW can't use drugs because the testing is strict (otherwise some would be using, let's not be naive) they will have to get stronger nevertheless.

I wish I'd gotten to stay in Houston longer to witness this lift in person. Here's Lovchev's 264 C&J. You can see Mark Henry cheering him on in a few shots.

http://youtu.be/X7GVFS0X-0M

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    ... My feeling is that a fairly large percentage of the weightlifting fans who discovered this brand new sport since 2010 or so don't have a basic knowledge of its history.
    The guy in the cube next to me has his CrossFit L1 and USAW L1. He actively coaches (and performs) the Olympic lifts at the local CrossFit gyms. He had never heard of Bill Starr, Doug Hepburn, Paul Anderson, John Davis, John Grimek, Bob Hoffman, Schemansky, Doc Ziegler, Bill March, Sigmund Klein, Alan Calvert, and so on. He was surprised to hear that the one-armed snatch was a contested Olympic lift for years, or that snatches used to be done with parallel arms. To be fair, he didn't know who Sarah Robles was either. If you're making money off of training people in a sport, wouldn't it be somewhat beneficial to know the history of that sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Out of interest who was the guy doing the MC Role in Houston?
    There was a Canadian guy MC'ing most of the A sessions. He alternated with a young American kid for the rest of the sessions. I can't remember their names, neither were prominent announcers, but they did their job well.

Both Lovchev's performance and that of the injured -75kg North Korean girl were mesmerizing. Absolutely incredible. Glad I made the trip to Houston.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    S.S.D. & Tom D:

drugs

end post
    Sorry to resurrect such an old beat to death thread , but I saw this and thought of this thread . . .

Drugs + this (below) = we will never be competitive

. . . yeah, the other countries get the luxury of focusing on strength more, because their technique is 99% refined by the time they're teenagers.
    This is about when our athletes just start most of the time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast