starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With gratitude

Default With gratitude

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Turned 63 today, deadlifted 300lbs. 8 weeks ago I was at 265. 2 years ago I was amazed when I first used the "big plates". Greatly satisfied, never been stronger, but I'm not writing this to brag about me. *Rip, thank you for Starting Strength. Your work is very important and Starting Strength is a gift that keeps on giving. I would love to find a way to return the favor.

Excellent. And no doubt you've noticed the benefits even when you're not under the bar.

Rip - Let me second the 'gratitude' part. I'll turn 66 on Saturday. My deadlift is only back to 240 (I reset all my weights after attending the Seattle seminar), but progressing every week. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hip. The doctor wanted to give me cortisone shots and an eventual hip replacement. We settled for a prescription of Naproxin. I started SS last June and haven't had to take any Naproxin since last August. For that, I am grateful!

I'm continually amazed at how strong some of the "older" lifters are on this site. Inspirational.

I too would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the Starting Strength program and your inspiration! Now, if I wouldn't have "fucked up" and started at 60!! A bit of gratitude should also go out to Andy Baker for his work with programing for the elderly... ��

Shit. Now I feel I have to say something. I'm 5'8", 180 pounds. Turning 60 this year. 10 years ago I weighed 235, hadn’t picked up a barbell since High School (where it fell on my face). My back hurt, my knees hurt, I was fubar.

Today. Deadlift 365. Squat 315. Bench and overhead press suck but I can put my carryon luggage in the overhead compartment without even thinking about it. Haven’t taken an advil in years. Sleep like a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Excellent. And no doubt you've noticed the benefits even when you're not under the bar.
    I'm (only) 47, but I'm now definitely more robust when not under the bar as a result of SS. I fell hard down a flight of wet stairs while carrying a big loaded cooler and got up and hiked up a mountain afterward (while carrying little girls on my back). Had this happened a few years ago, I doubt I would have done anything for the rest of the day.

Hopefully, the recent Nassim Nicholas Taleb shoutout to you on Twitter will help spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, for sure, ranging from*the earned confidence and understanding that follows accomplishment and seeks new challenge;*enhanced concentration enabled by physical well being; all the way to robust appearance,*AMB posture and desire to wear tight shirts. And all for the price of adding a little weight to the bar at each workout.

I guess I can speak up too. We're approaching the season of Gift, after all. Time to give back a little.

Just a geezling at 47. In addition to the strength benefits noted by others, I've found this board to be a source of extremely high quality and concentrated advice. All that I've read, that's been applicable to my circumstances, has been borne out by experience. Particularly regarding injuries and rehab.

Also, the word is slowly spreading around my workplace, gaining advocates.

Fair winds and a following sea to Rip and his crew.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mev20 View Post
    Hopefully, the recent Nassim Nicholas Taleb shoutout to you on Twitter will help spread the word.
    That is awesome. It's kinda surreal, actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast