starting strength gym

Thread: Do short guys have advantage at squatting heavier weight

Default Do short guys have advantage at squatting heavier weight

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm having discussion with my vertically challenged friend about short guys having advantage over taller guys of lifting the same amount of weight. Can you settle this discussion?

Work = Force x Distance.

Rip, that means that obviously the shorter guy will accomplish less work using 1 rep with the same weight because of the shorter ROM, which surely has relevance in real world activities.

But given just the task of squatting without the consideration of how much work is actually being done (which I think the OP is referring to), is there a difference in how much weight a shorter guy can squat compared to a taller guy (given their build and limb proportions are identical)?

My thinking is no because although the shorter guy will have an advantage of a shorter ROM, his levers and the muscles operating them are just proportionally smaller as well.

This is the basis of the newer Wilks formula, and the older Schwartz, Malone, and Sinclair formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    My thinking is no because although the shorter guy will have an advantage of a shorter ROM, his levers and the muscles operating them are just proportionally smaller as well.
    Smaller muscles may counterbalance the advantage of a shorter ROM, but smaller levers would provide an advantage, as the moment arms are shorter, right?

Cross-sectional area is the determining factor. A shorter person will have a shorter muscle, but not necessarily a smaller cross-section of muscle belly area. And shorter moment arms are the other part of the explanation for why the lighter weight classes lift heavier weights relative to bodyweight.

starting strength coach development program
    I was not on the planning committee.