starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the press an un needed accessory in the training program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Also - - does it matter the order when letting the air out of my tires AND could I possibly just let the air our of my wife's tires or just strew trash around the front yard then slam my nutsack in the car door? Would that be a manageable substitute?

[IMG][/IMG]

Can the program be done without squats or deadlifts? My back....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_0BhCw2rg

Thanks Rip!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have a 37,200 pound press? Very impressive.
    He means age 37, 200 lbs. I'm fluent in jibberish

I'm not actually sure that I've ever met anyone who has actually followed the program who decided they didn't like press MORE than bench press.

Press is just the most bad ass lift there is. I love reading about guys like Bednarski who were just super humanly strong driving up these world record presses. This is much much cooler than a big bench press. There are few things more satisfying than a PR press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have a 37,200 pound press? Very impressive.
    In before steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    I'm not actually sure that I've ever met anyone who has actually followed the program who decided they didn't like press MORE than bench press.

Press is just the most bad ass lift there is. I love reading about guys like Bednarski who were just super humanly strong driving up these world record presses. This is much much cooler than a big bench press. There are few things more satisfying than a PR press.
    I liked pressing a lot. It was a fun lift that was pretty technically demanding. But I love a big bench too. As a powerlifter, this lift means more because it is useful to my total. I think anyone would be stoked to have a 600+ raw bench. :-)

I like the press more than the bench, perhaps because I'm relatively better at it and because far fewer people.

I also know that my bench doesn't particularly help my press either, and I think that this is the same for many people given the amount of people with large bench presses relative to their presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post

I concur. Pressing big weight is much more gratifying than benching.

I think part of the reason is that you never see big weight getting pressed. While a "major" feat, pressing your body weight, or even pressing 2 plates turns heads in most gyms.

It's, I think, a desire to reacquaint one with his/her primitive self when feats of strength involve seeing who could pick up the biggest rock/log and put it over head.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHS View Post
    It's, I think, a desire to reacquaint one with his/her primitive self. . .
    Maybe.

But I tell people that strength is fundamental, not primitive.

Vince

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast