starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the press an un needed accessory in the training program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I find that pressing and chinning keeps my shoulders healthy so I can do some benching. Seems like lots of lifters that don't press, do a lot of upper back and rear delt work to compensate.
    Plus, putting shit overhead is just cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I liked pressing a lot. It was a fun lift that was pretty technically demanding. But I love a big bench too. As a powerlifter, this lift means more because it is useful to my total. I think anyone would be stoked to have a 600+ raw bench. :-)
    More stoked than a 500b raw press?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    More stoked than a 500b raw press?
    I think a 500 raw press, especially if it was done sort of strictly, would be greater than a 600 raw bench. That would be more like a 700 raw bench in terms of rarity. My pressing form was not perfect by any means, and I could have maybe done more with a lot of 2.0 press practice, but my ratio was 315/465ish when I was still pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I think a 500 raw press, especially if it was done sort of strictly, would be greater than a 600 raw bench. That would be more like a 700 raw bench in terms of rarity. My pressing form was not perfect by any means, and I could have maybe done more with a lot of 2.0 press practice, but my ratio was 315/465ish when I was still pressing.
    That's a pretty damn incredible press and bench press. Great work. Very hard to get to that point.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    That's a pretty damn incredible press and bench press. Great work. Very hard to get to that point.
    Thanks Matt. I actually injured my shoulder a little bit in prep for a meet, so I am now just starting to hit OHP again. I am going to lay off the bench for a while just to let things heal up. I am hoping to push the press up more, since I am trying to do it 2.0 style now. I still suck at it, but I am trying. :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123