starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the press an un needed accessory in the training program?

Default Is the press an un needed accessory in the training program?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When i first did SS i didn't have a bench. So i squat, press and dead. When i joined a gym for winter i got to
    For a moment working out today i thought whats the point, am i wasting my time.

First run though SS and advanced novice my press was 187 when my bench was 270.
    My bench is now 250 and with out pressing at all i did a test and found my press was 170.
    The bench press seems to be giving my shoulders the same ability i was achieving when i was doing both lifts 2 years ago. Why is the press advised if i don't seem to be getting more bang for my buck?

I just like to see if you'll do what I tell you. Now, go out to the driveway and let all the air our of your tires.

Mark, any advice if you cant overhead press or it is what it is? (37,200lb) I've had 2 surgeries on supraspinatus (10 months out from last) and just found out the supraspinatus tendon is super thin perforated. Busy in therapy with the goal of strengthening the other cuff muscles and working on keeping shoulder in healthy position. Also deadlift is to be avoided long term. My competitive days are shot but I'd still like to lift.

You have a 37,200 pound press? Very impressive.

Q: Is RichieRich an "un needed" accessory to this forum?
    A: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    Also deadlift is to be avoided long term.
    ...why, exactly?

This guy is smarter than me...

Maybe not this time, quad.

Richie, this is just my personal recommendation based off my own trials and errors. Looking back at my log, when my shoulders were healthier, the combination of heavy overhead pressing (I was doing more of a press 1.5, not press 2.0) and benching seemed to help me the most. I worked up to a 465 bench TnG and a 315 OHP (could have probably done more). After tearing my supraspinatus 50-70% I couldn't press anymore without feeling pain. I did find a way to bench, and I kept doing that. Fast forward now the present day, and even though I have been benching multiple times per week, I wasn't seeing the same kind of progress. Now I messed up my other shoulder, so I think I am going to focus on rehabbing it by working full ROM press and bench (both with a pretty narrow grip). In the past I was trying to find a way to get weight back on the bench as fast as possible. This time I am just going to keep it really light and take the slow road while trying to push up my squat and DL.

So if I were you I would do both. This also puts you in a better position if you ever want to try something like strongman.

starting strength coach development program
    I knew I messed up somewhere - I ended up pressing and doing deads when I should have been crunching towels and rolling soup cans.. I suppose it isn't too late to give up and make excuses.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast