starting strength gym
Page 11 of 301 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyguywithasword View Post
    Not many comedies mentioned thus far, anybody have any favorites? Rip?
    Some that haven't been mentioned;

Clue - I watched this on cable ages ago with a girlfriend, expecting a boring "who done it" and was completely broadsided into hysterical convulsions.
    Borat
    The Life of Brian
    The Meaning of Life
    The Holy Grail

Anyone seen Edge of Tomorrow?
    It got a bad reception in the US because Tom Cruise, but it's a pretty good film. Many Cruise haters, upon giving the movie a try based on word of mouth, ended up loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyguywithasword View Post
    It's not fair!
    Fair? What kind of a nihilist are you?

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    It got a bad reception in the US because Tom Cruise, but it's a pretty good film. Many Cruise haters, upon giving the movie a try based on word of mouth, ended up loving it.
    That movie and ex-machina are the two best pieces of original sci-fi to come out in the past 5 years. Inception coming in close to them.

After growing up watching horrible superhero movies, I for one am glad that the industry got its shit together and made some decent flicks.

Saw the trailer for CA:civil war before SW ep7 and the scene with Cap and Bucky beating the shit out of Iron Man made me want to watch it all the more.

On that note, I've always said that Robert Downey JNR was born to play that role.

I also echo Rip's sentimonies about watching films that make you want to be there, I couldn't care less about crime/political/environmental drama, I want to slay dragons, punch supervilliains and fly spaceships.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    It's a damn good movie and I don't know why I don't own it.

Cruise is a weird little fuck, but I have a hard time coming up with movies of his that I don't like.

Mission Impossible series is good, Oblivion was a good flick, Vanilla Sky, Magnolia,
    Jack Reacher are all well done movies.

I saw Star Wars the other night....after a few nights its occurred to me the it wasn't that great of a movie.

I'm looking forward to The Hateful 8.

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    I'm super excited for The Hateful Eight
    I fear that you will be sorely disappointed. I saw it last night. You are probably expecting great things from a western shot on 70mm from Tarantino! I was hoping for some kind of John Ford cinemascope wonder. But there are only 3 or 4 deep focus, long shots outside. The opening shot is nice. And, yes, there are multiple layers of action inside the building at times. But he doesn't do enough with it. The dialogue seems canned and almost like a self-parody, much like it did in DJango. They didn't give Goggins enough to play with. He had such better dialogue in the TV show Justified. And the scenario is not inherently interesting. . . .

It is a little funny to see the prisoner become increasingly covered in gore as the movie progresses. There are a bunch of horror references, from "Scanners" to "The Thing" (my favorite) to "Drag me to Hell" to "Evil Dead." I'm a big horror fan, so I can slap my knee at this stuff. But it doesn't make a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgmo View Post
    That movie and ex-machina are the two best pieces of original sci-fi to come out in the past 5 years. Inception coming in close to them.
    You might also like Predestination.

Another Vote for Edge of Tomorrow and John Wick. Both great movies.

For those with Netflix, you should watch the 30 minute origin story for Hundred Eyes they just released. I didn't particularly care for the Marco Polo series itself, but Hundred Eyes was a cool character. Worth the short watch if you're into Chinese martial arts.

starting strength coach development program
    Edge of Tomorrow is a classic scifi in my book. Minority Report too. I really enjoyed The Guest. Loaded Weapon is pretty fucking hilarious. Can't wait for Ip Man 3.

Page 11 of 301 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast