starting strength gym
Page 13 of 301 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamneth View Post
    So you've seen Hercules? Cuz that was godawful.

Nobody has mentioned Serenity yet? Some of Joss's best work. (Not as good as Firefly, but still, very good.)

I also quite enjoyed The Adjustment Bureau -- mostly for one speech in the movie, but DAMN, it was a good speech.
    Yeah I saw it. I'll be honest, I liked it. But, I wasn't expecting much. I'm also much less of a movie snob these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watched Bone Tomahawk. Just a one-timer, some problems with the story development that bothered us. But it's important to watch Kurt Russell movies, because he is cool and he deserves our support.
    Yes, there were a few flaws/errors, etc. Typical shit--gun stuff, mostly. Gets my nod because of one of the most wicked movie deaths ever (in the cave) and the overall Cormac McCarthy feel. And Kurt Russell.

Watched John Wick last night. Reeves was fine because he had no lines. The gunfight choreography was masterful, like a long kata with pistols.
    If you like gun katas of that sort, Equilibrium would the movie to watch. Not a bad movie. Borrows a lot from George Orwell's 1984.

Watched John Wick last night. Reeves was fine because he had no lines. The gunfight choreography was masterful, like a long kata with pistols.
    Sorry, forgot to add, John Wick was partly based on the Korean movie Old Boy and its all about one thing, raw bloody single minded vengeance

You can watch it at your house on DVD, like I did. John Wick is on the table, next.
    It's also available for free streaming on Amazon Prime. I watched it last night based on recommendations here and thought it was well-paced and enjoyable but not the kind of thing I'll be telling all my friends they need to watch. Also felt like there were a few plot holes / could have been a little more meat to the story.

Drive is fantastic, one of my favorite movies of all time, up there with Unforgiven. I tried to watch Only God Forgives (same director, also with Ryan Gosling) and gave up half way through.

Django Unchained
    Full Metal Jacket (for the one-liners)
    Sherlock Holmes
    Evil Dead
    Terminator 2
    Ford Fairlane (for the one-liners)

Soooooo looking forward to Deadpool!! Surprised no one else has mentioned it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Anyone see Cop Car? Kevin Bacon did a great job, and that movie was fun as shit. I highly recommend it.

Rip, I assume you've seen Boondock Saints, and if you havent, WHY THE FUCK HAVENT YOU SEEN BOONDOCK SAINTS?
    I've seen it. But only recently.

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Django Unchained
    Full Metal Jacket (for the one-liners)
    Sherlock Holmes
    Evil Dead
    Terminator 2
    Ford Fairlane (for the one-liners)

Soooooo looking forward to Deadpool!! Surprised no one else has mentioned it yet...
    I think it looks awful. Ryan Reynolds isn't funny and an entire movie of one-liners in his voice sounds like a good way to become an alcoholic.

Some favorites; most show my age.

The Godfather
    "Hey, listen, I want somebody good - and I mean very good - to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hands, alright?"

The Man Who Would Be King:
    "Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men."

Chinatown
    "You've got a nasty reputation, Mr. Gittes. I like that."

Papillon
    "Put all hope out of your mind. And masturbate as little as possible, it drains the strength!"

Goodfellas
    "You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

The Last of the Mohicans
    "When the Grey Hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart. Before he dies, Magua will put his children under the knife, so the Grey Hair will know his seed is wiped out forever."

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    "They was giving me ten thousand watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot! The next woman takes me on's gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!"

Seven Samurai (1954)
    "What do you think of farmers? You think they're saints? Hah! They're foxy beasts! They say, "We've got no rice, we've no wheat. We've got nothing!" But they have! They have everything! Dig under the floors! Or search the barns! You'll find plenty! Beans, salt, rice, sake! Look in the valleys, they've got hidden warehouses!"

Apollo 13
    "Hello, Houston. This is Odyssey. It's good to see you again."

Das Boot
    "Merkel's boys. They ship out tomorrow, too. Scared fuckers. They need sex as much as the infantry needs alcohol."

Taxi Driver
    "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking...you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK."

L.A. Confidential
    "I wouldn't trade places with Edmund Exley right now for all the whiskey in Ireland."

Cool Hand Luke
    "What we have here, is failure...to communicate."

The French Connection
    "All right, Popeye's here! Get your hands on your heads, get off the bar, and get on the wall!"

American Hustle
    "I'm like the fucking Vietcong, man, all right? I'm in and I'm out. I was there the whole time. You don't know it, all right? That's the fuckin' art of becoming somebody who people can pin their beliefs and their dreams on."

starting strength coach development program
    My two favorite revenge movies- Man on Fire and Open Range (neautiful setting and lots of gunfighting in this one.)