starting strength gym
Page 132 of 301 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I agree. Lonesome Dove set that standard years ago, and the most notable example is Deadwood.
    Yeah: Daredevil, Longmire, The Expanse (very good, could not be done in a movie), and Game of Throne (not read it or watched it), to name a few more (if I may rabbit trail down this forum thread rule departure once more).

I also think that the budgets and FX on these TV shows have helped movies return to better story telling and less reliance on CGI and turn back more practical FX (this is what I've heard from FX people in the industry, at least). CGI, usually, doesn't wow us anymore and we as a movie-going public are demanding better stories. Well, at least in some cases.

Getting back to movies I'd like to see a top 5 list of great movies for each decade. I've been watching movies from the 30's and I forgot how good some of the acting was and how good some directors were at telling good stories. Rewatched the Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man and just appreciated the craft and the performance of these early movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Paul Giamatti played the irascible Adams so well. My only minor gripe is that Jefferson came off being as not nearly such a devious hypocrite as history showed he was.
    Hollyweed is not devoted to truth.

Happy Independence Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Paul Giamatti played the irascible Adams so well. My only minor gripe is that Jefferson came off being as not nearly such a devious hypocrite as history showed he was.
    I don't know, I think they got his aloofness spot on. You could say the same thing about their portrayal of Washington.

That being said, I did enjoy how they portrayed Hamilton in all of his terrible, awful, war mongering, centralizing, flat out evil "glory." What a horrible human being he was, no matter how many rap songs Lin-Manuel Miranda had him sing on Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I don't know, I think they got his aloofness spot on. You could say the same thing about their portrayal of Washington.
    What a portrayal of Washington! My god, the man walks in the room, and he's George Washington. I don't know if this is David Morse's casting in the role, the amazing make-up job, or that Washington's place in American history is so profoundly important that I want it to be amazing, but it's amazing.

Watched The Lost City of Z the other night, it was a decent film that didn't get much press or play here in America. Try as he might, Charlie Hunnam just seems to be better suited for TV series, his only film credit that I have enjoyed is Green Street Hooligans.

Saw Baby Driver last night at the cinema. Cool movie, great dialogue and action, cast, soundtrack... all great. From Edgar Wright the director of the Simon Pegg zombie-based action comedies (Shaun of the Dead, etc).

I don't know how I didn't know about this movie before, but I watched Almost Famous last night. It is the semi-autobiographical story of writer and director Cameron Crowe's time traveling with rock bands in the 1970s while writing for Rolling Stone as a teenager. The whole premise is brilliant, not least because it could never happen now. What an impressive film. Nothing blows up. There are no car chases. There is just incredible dialog, music, character development, acting, cinematography, and a huge helping of nostalgia that will make you want to go back to 1973. Philip Seymour Hoffman, while not having a huge part in the movie, was masterful. It pissed me off that he is no longer alive. I need to watch it again. This is the best movie I can remember watching in years. The only thing I did not like was the opening credits. They took way too long. Get past that and prepare to enjoy yourself.

Opinions on Natural Born Killers? I found it to be a visceral dark social satire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Becket (1962). Watch it.
    Done. Marvelous! Thanks for the recommendation.

I can see you, shaven, as Thomas and Sully as Henry II. Maybe Jordan as Brother John if you think you can hold in your laughter while he's stabbed right in front of you.

starting strength coach development program
    Anybody heard anything about Dunkirk?