starting strength gym
Page 14 of 301 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You and I would get along, MashedTaters.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    I think it looks awful. Ryan Reynolds isn't funny and an entire movie of one-liners in his voice sounds like a good way to become an alcoholic.
    Lol there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground with him, you either love him or you hate him. I think Deadpool looks awesome but I really liked Blade Trinity and his style of comedy in movies like Van Wilder.

Has anybody seen Cowspiracy? Available on Netflix and elsewhere. Basically, the authors state that livestock causes far more damage to environment than all technological aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Like any genre, there are high quality (Winter Soldier, Avengers, Ultron, X-Men 1,2, First Class and DOFP, Iron Man 1, 300, Watchmen, Burton’s Batman, etc.) and lesser (Wolverine 1,2, Iron Man 2,3, Hulk movies, Nolan’s humorless Batman, Man of Steel, Green Lantern, FF 1,2, etc.) examples. Condemnation of the entire class of movies, or their fans, is preposterous, as it would be for action, horror, western, drama, comedy, sci-fi.

The demo that drives these movies, and is courted every year at San Diego Comic Con and other venues by the creators and actors, tends to be highly culturally-aware, artistic, intelligent and analytical crowd, the “creative class”, if you will. Probably the smartest group of fans out there, though I guess not your crowd Alcon.
    The standard these movies are held to are how closely they replicate the costumes and story line from the comics, that people read as 10 year olds. If you are uninterested in, or have never read comics and you watch these movies, most are crap. Some are crappier than crap *cough* Iron Man 2 *cough* or was it 3? The first one was okay.

When an entire movie's success is based on how many CGI fights they can have happening at once on screen, it would only be good if it were a comedy.

Smartest group of fans? I'm not sure about that, most obsessive I will accept.

I don't remember what my original post was, but I think I was condemning all of Hollywood, I'd say greater than 95% of what they produce is total shit.

Be honest now, what was the last character you Cosplayed as?

Why does someone's IQ determine their taste in movies? Perhaps they're a nobel winning scientist but love fart jokes.
    Judging people's taste in movies is pretentious, edgelord hogwash.

Alcon watches only Shakespeare film adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Terminator 2
    Honestly I don't think T2 will ever be topped as an action film, or at least as a sequel. Solid acting (including a teen actor who didn't suck), sound design, casting, pacing, narrative and tasteful humor. An incredibly likable protagonist (despite literally being an emotionless robot) and one of the most intimidating antagonists ever.

And it still looks as good today as when it came out. Even the early 90's CGI has aged well (and the practical effects haven't aged a day).

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    Some favorites; most show my age.
    Good stuff, MT.

Zulu:

Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Damnit, am I that transparent?

I watched John Wick recently based on the recommendations on here, it was pretty good. I was sad when they killed his dog, that movie actually got me invested in the protagonist because his wife died and they killed her last gift to him. It was sad.

Action movies where I couldn't care less if the protagonist (super hero) dies I find less enjoyable. I just want one comic book movie where Tony Stark is about to shoot the bad guy and kill him, but by a twist of fate he kills Tony Stark AND Pepper Potts. Watching comic book movies is like seeing a movie you've already seen before, five minutes ago. The hero is going to catch/kill the bad guy and in the end everything turns out great for the hero.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's the funniest damn thing I've read in a while.

I am sometimes reminded how hard people on this board try to keep themselves from being that "big dumb meathead" lifter. It IS pretentious.

I enjoy some of the animated movies my little kids watch. Like the Disney Tinkerbell movies. Guess that makes me mentally handicapped or somehow less of an evolved ape than the others.