starting strength gym
Page 145 of 301 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The original had noir elements on steroids. Raymond Chandler probably disturbed the earth on his grave sitting up to salute.
    I terribly wanted to like the original BR but can't say I did. It was not bad but I never engaged. I've since learned I don't tend to care for heavy noir....slowly the pieces fall together. Still going to see new sequel and rather looking forward to it.

Has anyone seen Get Out which was a released earlier this year? Bloody good film, which I will very loosely describe as concerning a young black American man who, with some trepidation, agrees to meet his white girlfriend's parents one weekend.

The film has been classed as horror, which might seem odd from the above description, but it progressively gets weirder and creepier, with a lot of racial and social commentary. It's slow-paced, but very enjoyably so.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I terribly wanted to like the original BR but can't say I did. It was not bad but I never engaged. I've since learned I don't tend to care for heavy noir....slowly the pieces fall together. Still going to see new sequel and rather looking forward to it.
    It's super boring and the story isn't interesting. I seriously think people say they that like it only like it because it's cool to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFifty View Post
    Has anyone seen Get Out which was a released earlier this year? Bloody good film, which I will very loosely describe as concerning a young black American man who, with some trepidation, agrees to meet his white girlfriend's parents one weekend.

The film has been classed as horror, which might seem odd from the above description, but it progressively gets weirder and creepier, with a lot of racial and social commentary. It's slow-paced, but very enjoyably so.
    This really surprised me. I didn't know Jordan Peele had that in him. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    It's super boring and the story isn't interesting. I seriously think people say they that like it only like it because it's cool to like it.
    Yeah, kinda like it's now cool to say that Blade Runner is a boring movie. You didn't like 2001 either, right? Too predictable, lousy soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, kinda like it's now cool to say that Blade Runner is a boring movie. You didn't like 2001 either, right? Too predictable, lousy soundtrack.
    Nope, I loved 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I saw that. People are just stupid. Or it could be that the market has shifted to home theatre to a greater extent in the demographic that likes this kind of movie.
    They (home-theater-whatever-demographic) would be missing out big time then.
    And just because ticket sales are down . . .that doesn't mean any thing as far as the quality of the movie.(<--directed at Shug's post)

Seeing this movie at the theater/"big screen" with "big sound" is a whole lot different than at home.
    Even if you have a kick-ass home theater set up.

I saw Sicario twice in theaters.
    Not really because it was such a good movie, but because of the cinematography, sound track, etc.
    At home its not nearly as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    It's cool to like it? I suppose within a certain niche group. Is comic con cool now? Asking for a friend.

I saw Blade Runner in the theater in second grade expecting more of an action film like Star Wars, but even then I realized that the film was profound and very well done, even if I was disappointed in the body count.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    They (home-theater-whatever-demographic) would be missing out big time then.
    And just because ticket sales are down . . .that doesn't mean any thing as far as the quality of the movie.(<--directed at Shug's post)

Seeing this movie at the theater/"big screen" with "big sound" is a whole lot different than at home.
    Even if you have a kick-ass home theater set up.

I saw Sicario twice in theaters.
    Not really because it was such a good movie, but because of the cinematography, sound track, etc.
    At home its not nearly as good.
    I saw Sicario once in the theater and a couple of time at home. I can't even put my finger on why I liked it so much, but I do.

My issue with some films in theaters is that some of them are just ridiculously loud. 'Inception' almost made me leave the theater...but I am kinda cheap, so I stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I know my reaction to seeing it the first time was "huh?" A few years later, when my roommate watched it, he had the same reaction.

If you have seen the original a couple times (particularly one of the good cuts) and didn't like it, I doubt you're going to like the new one. And I say that as someone who wanted to see 2049 be a big success.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    My issue with some films in theaters is that some of them are just ridiculously loud.
    Since having kids, my home theatre gets less use and I find myself at the cinemas more.

Downside is no pause button, the beer is expensive and they insist I wear pants.

starting strength coach development program
    If you would like to waste some money and ruin a movie... try Ultra AVX.

I watched Rogue 1 using the system... it is awful. Horribly pneumatic chairs... ear piercing volume to cover the sound of the chairs... fart cloud stink generators... pisser jets... the works.