starting strength gym
Page 165 of 301 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnlock View Post
    Impressive, every word of that sentence was correct...
    I don't think most SW fans would have had any problem with Rey being a nobody. The problem is how strongly it was implied and teased otherwise in TFA, and how little development she gets and how unearned her prodigious force abilities are. A quick comparison of her with Luke or even Anakin shows how poorly told her story and development are.

If she's a nobody, they really fucked up the opportunity to give her a compelling character arc. If she's not a nobody, then all of the above doesn't apply...and they still fucked up the opportunity to give her a compelling character arc.

They just plain fucked up, in nearly every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I don't think most SW fans would have had any problem with Rey being a nobody. The problem is how strongly it was implied and teased otherwise in TFA, and how little development she gets and how unearned her prodigious force abilities are. A quick comparison of her with Luke or even Anakin shows how poorly told her story and development are.

If she's a nobody, they really fucked up the opportunity to give her a compelling character arc. If she's not a nobody, then all of the above doesn't apply...and they still fucked up the opportunity to give her a compelling character arc.

They just plain fucked up, in nearly every way.
    I think it's just funny seeing Star Wars fans get trolled. Complaints about TFA were mostly about it being a rehash/film-by-committee, so they gave an entire Star Wars movie to some guy. Then this nobody director proceeds to completely destroy everything that was setup in TFA with absolutely no payoff (Snoke being just some guy with no back story or relevance, Rey being nobody, etc). I would be pissed as a fan, but since I would consider myself more of Star Wars hater at this point, I stand back and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Had the pleasure of watching the Lord of the Rings again, extended edition Fellowship of the Ring. It's still my contention that this is the best film series of all time. All three films, even the 4 hour versions of each are absolutely incredible and still hold up 15 years later.
    Totes amazeballs!

Samwise Gamgee is the real MVP.

One of the best and most heart warming scenes in ROTK is when Aragorn says, "My friends, you bow to no one" and then he and everyone else proceeds to bow. The orchestral music on top just nails it, well it nails it throughout.

I really wish they didn't cut the scene where Aragorn, Gandalf etc interact with the mouth of Sauron.

I think I’ll rewatch LOTR for the 40th time. There are no other movies I’ve seen that many times that I just haven’t gotten tired of.

I just wish someone would make a movie set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. So many awesome events and lore to draw from.

As for Bright, I thought it was okay. It felt a bit confused at times though, like it would go from feeling like a somewhat dark comedy to straight up grimdark at the drop of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakarot View Post
    One of the best and most heart warming scenes in ROTK is when Aragorn says, "My friends, you bow to no one" and then he and everyone else proceeds to bow. The orchestral music on top just nails it, well it nails it throughout.
    That scene makes me cry every time without fail.

Never been a fan of the Star Wars movies. They have some excellent aspects, but the wider lore and expanded universe has always been far more interesting. The main problem with them is that they simply are not good movies. The writing is meh at best, but most often just crappy and repetitive. Their most redeeming feature was their superb score, but the score was wasted on such mediocre/crappy movies.

The LOTR movies on the other hand are masterpieces, even with their deviations from Tolkien's works - yeah, so what, I don't really care. They have it all - great cast, great artists, great world, great score, great cinematography, great direction, etc. Yes there is cliche to be found, but LOTR is far more 'alternate' in that it is SO traditional and rooted in historical fantasy. Where else do we see such good use of Old English in film? Where else do we see such good use of Anglo-Saxon visual influences in fantasy? It's got the right mix real world and fantasy to it. They were passion projects for so many people, from the guys spending years making mail in the workshops, to Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie.

Watched The Accountant last night. Very good one-timer. Not on par with the John Wick movies.

Well shit. Maybe I should watch the Lord of the Rings. Never had a compelling reason to do it, but this thread talked me into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watched The Accountant last night. Very good one-timer. Not on par with the John Wick movies.
    I thought Ben Affleck's performance was interesting enough to carry that movie.

starting strength coach development program
    My favorite of the things I've seen him do.