starting strength gym
Page 181 of 301 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverstone View Post
    Sorry about the Costner and Whedon spellings...gonna blame SpellCheck. The "kids these days" apparently require everything to be a "team" or group conciousness. When I got into comics as a kid, they were "addressed" to the loners and/or desire for rugged individualism. Batman was self trained.
    Studied chemistry, sciences, detective apprenticeships with humans instead of all the mumbo jumbo Rhas a Ghul (sp?), ninja stuff. Barry Allen as the Flash was the same, etc. etc. I appreciate the team thing in smaller doses but the desire within oneself to rise to the occasion is diminished and overrun in my view by everything being group oriented and dependence on other's. Kinda contrary to the thing that drives us all to lift weights.
    So, even though the gigantic "everybody in the universe is in this thing" is not an attraction for me, I can't resist the upcoming Avengers film. Once a geek always a geek.
    Have you seen Logan? Probably my favorite of the genre in years. It was inspired by the old western Shane. Jackman used Clint Eastwoods Unforgiven as reference for his performance.

The "kids these days" apparently require everything to be a "team" or group conciousness. When I got into comics as a kid, they were "addressed" to the loners and/or desire for rugged individualism.
    The hell are you talking about? The Avengers have been around since the frickin 60's... and Marvel characters are constantly teaming up/interacting with each other in the comics...

Never mind the story that this upcoming Avengers is based off of, are you familiar with it? Infinity War deals with with WAY more characters than are going to be featured in this movie... so it has little to do with "kids these days" or "rugged individualism".

I know that it has been mentioned a few times on this thread, but I watched Wind River recently. I found it surprisingly good. Watched it again a week later with my wife. And it was still quite good. I usually don't like to watch movies more than once. There are a few, like Army of Darkness that I can watch over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I know that it has been mentioned a few times on this thread, but I watched Wind River recently. I found it surprisingly good. Watched it again a week later with my wife. And it was still quite good. I usually don't like to watch movies more than once. There are a few, like Army of Darkness that I can watch over and over.
    Jon Bernthal is becoming one of my favorite actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Joksimovic View Post
    The hell are you talking about? The Avengers have been around since the frickin 60's... and Marvel characters are constantly teaming up/interacting with each other in the comics...

Never mind the story that this upcoming Avengers is based off of, are you familiar with it? Infinity War deals with with WAY more characters than are going to be featured in this movie... so it has little to do with "kids these days" or "rugged individualism".
    Yes, I'm well familiar with the team ups in the comics and have enjoyed many of the over the decades. Even so, I have always preferred the solo adventures far more.
    When I was reading them in the '60s and '70s the team ups were "new" and refreshing but that quickly wore off for me overall. I AM familiar with "Civil Wars" and "The Infinity Saga". I still own the original Silver Age comics and am a knowledgable fan-
    (and I DO agree that "Civil War" was the best super hero team up film EVER) but still think it takes more "fitness" to pull off a film like Capt. America 2 and we are given more time to live in one (or two) characters' heads and revive the "man if I was a hero when I grow up" vibe I daydreamed so much as a kid. The gigantic team up extravaganzas are fun and engrossing (when well done). The TEAM thang I was referring to are more along the lines of the ones on the t.v shows (Arrow, Flash) where our poor heroes can't seem to find bad guys or get much done without their computer hacker, cutesy silliness. Rugged individualists don't need them. Just my personal opinion, likes/dislikes.
    That said, as I've said, I'm still going to see the latest Avengers film and enjoy it.

Oh yeah, Brad, forgot to respond about Logan. Yes, enjoyed that flick twice. Patrick Stewart's best role ever. I actually thought he should've been at least nominated for a best supporting actor award even though I've never liked him that much in other things in films. I wish the X-men films had been of the same caliber of "Logan". Too bad Fox got 'em instead of Marvel retaining them. Still wondering about the complete lack of mention/reviews for "Black Panther" here.
    Seen it twice. Looking especially forward to that character's expansion in Infinity War. Gonna try to see that near the end of the week.

Oh yeah, Brad, forgot to respond about Logan. Yes, enjoyed that flick twice. Patrick Stewart's best role ever. I actually thought he should've been at least nominated for a best supporting actor award even though I've never liked him that much in other things in films. I wish the X-men films had been of the same caliber of "Logan". Too bad Fox got 'em instead of Marvel retaining them. Still wondering about the complete lack of mention/reviews for "Black Panther" here.
    Seen it twice. Looking especially forward to that character's expansion in Infinity War. Gonna try to see that near the end of the week.
    Deadpool is one of the best superhero movies of all time. I see your point, but Infinity War is good in that it doesn't get bogged down in having 500 characters. I'm sure you'll like it better than the previous Avengers films.

My favorite superhero movie remains Winter Soldier, maybe for this reason.

I seen Black Panther and enjoyed the movie. It to me was a good but not one of my all time favorites.

I agree with Mark that Winter Solder is great. I think Winter Solder, Logan, The Dark Knight, and the Guardian Movies are probably my top favorites.

I seen Infinity War and for the scale plus amount of characters I thought it was great. I think Josh Brolin as Thanos really made the movie. I won't say more to not ruin it for people that haven't viewed it yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, I have to say that the "team thing" really worked well in "Infinity War" and I totally enjoyed it. I also think "Winter Soldier was the best of the Marvel films at least for my tastes. Watched it several times already. I do wish Cap and Panther had been given a lot more to do in the lst installment of "Infinity War" but Josh Brolin was SO good (and his CGI self too) that I almost didn't mind. My wife enjoyed it too and it's not always her "thang". I liked the Guardians "schtick" better in this movie than in their own maybe because it gets spread out with a bit more "breathing room".
    Even though I agree totally with Mark about "Thor" Hemsworth's "character" (and he IS a real character) has finally come into his own since "Ragnorak" and I find myself kinda rooting for the clown these days. He is NOT the Thor of the early Silver Age comics which would have been my preference but I'm cheerily along for the ride anyway.