starting strength gym
Page 183 of 301 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Rip, have you seen Thor: Ragnarok? What did you think of it?
    Haven't seen it. Heard it was a comedy. I am less than impressed with 185-pound Helmsley or what ever his name is cast as Thor, and they've been my least favorite of the Marvel movies. Evans as Captain American is a good piece of casting, as is Downey as Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Haven't seen it. Heard it was a comedy. I am less than impressed with 185-pound Helmsley or what ever his name is cast as Thor, and they've been my least favorite of the Marvel movies. Evans as Captain American is a good piece of casting, as is Downey as Iron Man.
    I would check this one out if you have some free time. Definitely better than the last two and Hemsworth was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I would check this one out if you have some free time. Definitely better than the last two and Hemsworth was pretty good.
    I hated the lst two Thor movies for all the reasons Mark has stated. I was a Thor comics fan as a kid and was greatly disappointed in the clown that is portrayed in the films-plus they weren't anywhere near up to Marvel's usual standards. That said, Ragnorok totally went to "clownsville" which oddly, resonated with Helmsworth's demeanor and the over the top humor, just verging on campy, was, against my better judgement, fun. Kate Blanchett's Hella is completely over the top and a hoot. It is definitely the best, by far of the 3 films but I'm still longing for a REAL Thor film alone gate lines of Beowolf (SP?).

Last night we watched "Annihilation" with Thor's girlfriend, Natalie Portman who kicked as as a woman soldier scientist and it was very well done. Think 2001-ish slow burn cosmic mystery meets Predator. It's not an action film (mostly) but very creative with an interesting alien/scientific threat. I'd recommend this one.

Ordered it. I've been needing a new recommendation. Rewatching the James Bond films now. The Craig movies make all the previous versions obsolete.

Ordered it. I've been needing a new recommendation. Rewatching the James Bond films now. The Craig movies make all the previous versions obsolete.
    I'd generally agree, although I think Connery still rules the first three films of the franchise. I'll give him partial credit for You Only Live Twice. But Craig totally eclipses all the others in between. The fight scene with Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love on the Orient Express was a great example of old school and was far more realistic fight choreography than seen in more recent movies of all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I'd generally agree, although I think Connery still rules the first three films of the franchise. I'll give him partial credit for You Only Live Twice. But Craig totally eclipses all the others in between. The fight scene with Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love on the Orient Express was a great example of old school and was far more realistic fight choreography than seen in more recent movies of all kinds.
    Nonsense, the two with Timothy Dalton and the three with Pierce Brosnan (I don't include Die Another Day) were excellent movies. Dr. No is still probably my favorite though.

But I think we can both agree to pretend like Roger Moore never existed.

The fight scene with Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love on the Orient Express was a great example of old school and was far more realistic fight choreography than seen in more recent movies of all kinds.
    Craig's fight scenes are pretty damn good. As far as modern fight scenes go, look at this one from an otherwise shitty movie. Batman's wife had no less than three weapons on her, but they do a good job of making it obvious how fucked the situation would be if the other dude wasn't in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    But I think we can both agree to pretend like Roger Moore never existed.
    Amen!

But Connery and Craig were both still better than Dalton or Brosnan, IMHO. Which is not to say the other two were bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Craig's fight scenes are pretty damn good. As far as modern fight scenes go, look at this one from an otherwise shitty movie. Batman's wife had no less than three weapons on her, but they do a good job of making it obvious how fucked the situation would be if the other dude wasn't in the room.
    I guess it's a generational difference on the fight scenes we were raised on. Craig's and the Bourne series are a thrill a minute, as is the one you posted, but the speed they move at and the repeated quick camera cuts make it difficult to see what is really happening. At least for me.

Connery and Shaw's train scene moves somewhat slower and so is easier to see the details. Connery trots out nearly the entirety of Fairbairn's silent killing repertoire. With a little help from Q's gimmicked briefcase of course.

This is about as film geeky as I am capable of.

I guess it's a generational difference on the fight scenes we were raised on. Craig's and the Bourne series are a thrill a minute, as is the one you posted, but the speed they move at and the repeated quick camera cuts make it difficult to see what is really happening. At least for me.
    Have you watched all 4 of the new movies? The shaky-cam only ruined Quantum of Solace.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you watched all 4 of the new movies? The shaky-cam only ruined Quantum of Solace.
    I have, and I agree, the shaky-cam may simulate how fights look and are experienced by those engaged in them but they make it hard as Hell to discern what is going on to a 3rd party observer (the movie audience in this case) trying to figger out just what is going on. I like to be able to pick apart the stuff happening. The camera cuts make even dropping it to slow motion difficult to pick this stuff up.

The other movies were an improvement by dropping the shaky-cam in this respect, but I guess the cuts and change in point of view still make it hard for me. My processor is slowing down.