Page 187 of 301 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Brawl in Cell Block 99 is damn good. Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017) - IMDb

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Two things, one from a ways back in this thread and another one unrelated to that:

Thing One
    Modern fight choreography: The Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes movies not only show the action in real time, but include slow-mo and narration describing in some detail the goings on of the made up martial art of Baritsu that Doyle described in a few of his stories and novellas. Good stuff too. Holmes' moves look very Chinese-like. Probably the same stuff that inspired Fairbairn and Sykes when they were in the Colonial Police in Shanghai doing dirty deeds done dirt cheap.
    Robert Downey Jr. is a long-time practitioner of wing chun, and he wanted to work that in somehow. Did a reasonably good job of it, I suppose. Not sure how much it dovetailed with Doyle's descriptions of Holmes' fighting, but in any case it was fun to watch, and the slo-mo breakdowns were clever.

Default The Great Escape

While WWII classics are being mentioned in case someone here hasn't seen The Great Escape with McQueen, Garner, Bronson, David McCallum, Richard Attenborough, etc. etc. One of the greatest films and best soundtracks in film history in my book. A true story that followed the original book very closely. The music does go on through out the entire film though which may bother some folks, but the composer is Elmer Bernstein who wrote the theme to the Magnificent Seven, etc. McQueen's motorcycle chase scene is iconic. I watch it again every few years. When I was a kid and saw it for the lst time, I actually made an "escape tunnel" through the top ceiling ( a hatch) of my bedroom closet! Ladder and signaling can, an' everything! What can I say I had quite the imagination!

Just jumping in and want to mention the
    Film Noir movies on TCM that air Sat at midnite and repeat Sunday morning at 10 am

I watched The Equaliser with Denzel last night, after seeing previews of the sequel on the idiot box. I will never be a jerk to the guy at Bunnings (Home Depot in the film) again just in case he is a retired nutter.

It got me wondering who would win between Robert Mccall (Denzel's character), John Wick and the Tom Cruise version of Jack Reacher if they all decided they didn't like each other.

Yes, I do have an active (and largely wasted) imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I watched The Equaliser with Denzel last night, after seeing previews of the sequel on the idiot box. I will never be a jerk to the guy at Bunnings (Home Depot in the film) again just in case he is a retired nutter.

It got me wondering who would win between Robert Mccall (Denzel's character), John Wick and the Tom Cruise version of Jack Reacher if they all decided they didn't like each other.

Yes, I do have an active (and largely wasted) imagination.
    I think it's clear that John Wick would win that fight. I would also put my money on Keanu Reeve if all those actors were to fight for real.

William Hobbs died this week and I know some of you are fans of his fight choreography (the Duellists, Three Musketeers etc. ) I knew Bill personally and had the pleasure to fence with him. This video about the fight scenes in The Count of Monte Cristo provides some insights into his style of fight direction.

RIP Bill.

RIP Bill, indeed. He was the best in the business, far and away. He was responsible for the best fights ever filmed, especially the long scene at the end of Rob Roy, in my opinion the best ever recorded, as well as the fabulous scenes in the Three/Four Musketeers 1974. That you got to fence with him makes me proud that you post on this board. Raise a glass.

The 4K version of 2001: A Space Odyssey is now scheduled to release October 30 of this year.

starting strength coach development program
    Pre-ordered it 15 minutes ago.