starting strength gym
Page 193 of 301 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Watched Summer of '84 this weekend. Flew under my radar until it popped up on Amazon. Same sort of 80's nostalgia type thing from It and Stranger Things, but done much better. A fun mystery and shot really well.

Saw Venom, too. A little lackluster overall, no need to waste your money.
    Thats disappointing about Venom. The trailers looked good and there is great source material. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sinker View Post
    After being pleasantly surprised by John Krasinski's turn as Jack Ryan on the Amazon Prime series of the same name, Mrs Sinker and I watched 'A Quiet Place' with John Krasinski and Emily Blunt and really enjoyed it. Bonus: only 90 minutes!
    I enjoyed A Quiet Place as I watched it but the more it sets in my head I find just too many plot holes in general for my liking that I just don't seem to be able to suspend my disbelief in.

Has anyone seen High Tension? Loved it until the ending where the twist utterly and completely defied logic and could not have happened and ruined the whole damn thing.

I finally (!) caught "Roadhouse" from the beginning and decided to suck it up and try to watch it despite all the reports of it's suckiousity.

FWIW, the first 45 minutes of character development of Patrick Swayze was pretty good.

Sadly, they decided to lapse into some real BS with him doing sweaty Tai Chi along the lake and talk about his college degree in philosophy in the ER with the hot female doc.

The estrogen/soy ratio began to overwhelm it thereafter. Despite the insertion of Sam Elliott.

I changed it to watch Rio Bravo with John Wayne doing his clunky flirtations with Angie Dickinson. Not exactly great cinema, but at least an improvement over the latter.

For those of you who haven't seen it, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is on Amazon Prime now. One of the funniest movies of all time. Really. No shit. Watch it. Ethel Merman. My god.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Oops, I let a series slip through. But before returning to the rules, I'll just mention Deadwood again. Watching it for the 5th time, and if you haven't seen it, you are fucking up. Best writing, photography, and direction I've ever seen, movies or TV. A true masterpiece.
    I completely agree with this. Deadwood is indeed a masterpiece and ranks among the top when considering both series and films. Al Swearengen is probably the most entertaining and well rounded character I've ever seen. Ian McShane's acting was near perfection as scenes would range from intense to those moments with unexpected humor, or even his delivery of some simple yet profound quotes. I have to believe most SS members would find this show entertaining at the least.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."

"In life you have to do a lot of things you don’t fucking want to do. Many times, that’s what the fuck life is… one vile fucking task after another."

"Announcin' your plans is a good way to hear god laugh."

Since it's Halloween season and I'm peaking, I've got a lot of time to watch some spooky movies. I've re-watched Halloween (1978), The Shining, The Thing (1982), Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon. Anything I should add to my watch list?

Scariest movie ever made remains The Exorcist. The Shining was not even disturbing, and I don't understand why it is revered as a horror movie.

BUT: I just watched Atomic Blonde, and this is a helluva movie. Up there with John Wick.

Scariest movie ever made remains The Exorcist.
    Nothing comes close. Of course the original release had the quasi subliminal cuts included - pure evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Since it's Halloween season and I'm peaking, I've got a lot of time to watch some spooky movies. I've re-watched Halloween (1978), The Shining, The Thing (1982), Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon. Anything I should add to my watch list?
    Coherence. A Sci-fi thriller, not a horror movie, but creepy for sure!

Atomic Blonde impresses me the most with the one-shot staircase fight, where she fucks up the big Russian dude(s?).

starting strength coach development program
    Scariest movie ever made remains The Exorcist. The Shining was not even disturbing, and I don't understand why it is revered as a horror movie.

BUT: I just watched Atomic Blonde, and this is a helluva movie. Up there with John Wick.
    I don't think either is very scary, but I like The Shining more, mostly because Jack Nicholson is hilariously good.