Page 217 of 301 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'll speak with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    DB and I saw Bohemian Rhapsody. A great portrayal of Freddy Mercury and the band's tribulations early on. The final scene for Live Aid in Wembley was incredible. Not only was the swoop in from above to over the crowd to the stage breathtaking, but by then Mercury knew he was going to die from AIDS and his performance, it seemed to me anyway, was a capstone of his music and a farewell to all this. It had a tendency to drag in a few spots but altogether it was funny and absorbing.
    You've got to watch the video on YouTube, where they show the Live Aid performance from the movie side-by-side with footage from the real Live Aid performance. The attention to detail for historical accuracy is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    You've got to watch the video on YouTube, where they show the Live Aid performance from the movie side-by-side with footage from the real Live Aid performance. The attention to detail for historical accuracy is amazing.
    I've seen clips from a recording of that performance on a documentary about Mercury a few years ago. I have to agree.

I'm still buzzing from seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 2 weeks ago. I've been an absolute Tarantino fanatic since 1994 and he's apparently incapable of disappointing me, I can understand why certain people don't love it but they are wrong.

I got around to seeing Westside vs The World yesterday and while the cameos and honesty were nice, and it was as self serving as you would expect I found it very tedious. A bunch of grown men worked really hard at lifting weights and then got into arguments for 50 years and sometimes they bled everywhere instead of cleaning it up. The stories weren't that interesting other than they all sound like complete pricks. I bet the stories at any high performing gym would be just as good.

Finally watched Tumbbad. Easily the best horror film since The VVitch in my book. Highly recommended.

Tumbbad (2018) - IMDb

Watched Oscar-nominated Foxcatcher, about U.S. Olympic wrestling champions and brothers Mark Schultz and Dave Schultz who join "Team Foxcatcher", led by eccentric multi-millionaire John du Pont. It's touted as a 'true crime drama', and stars Steve Carell, unrecognisable as du Pont. Mark Ruffalo and Channing Tatum shine as the Schultz brothers. Slow to get going in the beginning, but has a lot of character building to achieve, especially around du Pont, who amongst many things was a published ornithologist.

Watched Rambo, the 2008 film, and fourth in the franchise. Solid film, extremely violent, particularly at the end. Stallone reprises his famous role as granite faced ex-green beret John Rambo, who has been living in Thailand working as a snake catcher and boat driver. Set in the era of the Burmese Saffron Revolution, Rambo finds himself caught up in a mission to extract a missionary doctor and his group who had been taken hostage by the SPDC Army.

There is a pistol shooting scene that would make John from Warrior Poet Society proud, along with a customary Rambo bow and arrow scene that would rival anything seen on any Robin Hood movie. Add to that a final shootout with the army where Rambo empties two ammo boxes via a jeep mounted M2 machine gun, and there is action a plenty in this film.

Godzilla: The King of the Monsters is a pretty good monster movie. I like the monster who is half gorilla and half mastodon. He's pretty cool. I'm glad the guy's wife got killed.

Two upcoming films on my must-see list are Midway and The Current War. Midway looks every bit as compelling as Dunkirk crossed with Pearl Harbor. As razor's edge as that battle was, it surely will keep you riveted. Even though we know the ending already.

I read the novel on which the latter movie is based. No guarantees of course, but the book was excellent and well researched. It covers the tech war between Edison, Westinghouse, and Tesla for whose approach to supplying electricity would win out. With Benedict Cumberbatch playing Tesla, it seems like it'll be a keeper.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    With Benedict Cumberbatch playing Tesla, it seems like it'll be a keeper.
    Tesla is a compelling character. David Bowie did an excellent job with him in The Prestige, a highly-underappreciated film.