starting strength gym
Page 219 of 301 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 3002

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I watched The Big Sleep last night. The original one with Bogey. I couldn't help bu be struck by what a wooden dud Lauren Bacall's acting was in it. Every other woman in that movie, and there were easily half a dozen, had more life and animation in their performances than she did, and they were all better looking too. Even the nerdy looking book store clerk who shared a glass of rye with Marlowe while waiting for the rain to end.

A bit late on the reviews following the double-feature, apologies all.

Firstly, Joker. WOW! What a movie. The following snippet from a Guardian review sums it up best;

Todd Phillips’s Joker is essential viewing for anyone with more than a passing affection for the 1970s and early 80s films of Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro – King of Comedy and Taxi Driver in particular – to which it pays fulsome tribute with its vision of a troubled, semi-psychotic working-class white male left to fend for himself by society, with disastrous results. Joaquin Phoenix’s performance as Arthur Fleck is one of startling, nihilistic majesty – a jewel found shining among dead things.

It is truly unlike any comic book movie, much darker and more violent. Phoenix's character begins as a mentally-ill young man living with his mother. He is a clown entertainer by day and aspiring stand up comic by night, with a nervous, discomforting and uncontrollable laugh caused by a neurological condition. Phoenix delivers a riveting performance, masterfully transforming his character (following one fateful encounter) into a full blown psychopathic mass-murderer who asks to be called 'Joker' by television host Murray Franklin (surprise cameo by Robert De Niro).

Joker is currently on pace to be the most profitable comic book movie of all-time (earnings recently passed 15 times budget), as well as the highest grossing R-rated movie ever.

As for Terminator: Dark Fate, well, its a Terminator movie. Just strap in, eat your popcorn, and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Even the nerdy looking book store clerk who shared a glass of rye with Marlowe while waiting for the rain to end.
    that was dorothy malone - probably 21 when the movie was shot

hope you're staying warm, mark

november 2019

the month and year in which blade runner takes place...certainly an excuse to watch it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I watched The Big Sleep last night. The original one with Bogey. I couldn't help bu be struck by what a wooden dud Lauren Bacall's acting was in it. Every other woman in that movie, and there were easily half a dozen, had more life and animation in their performances than she did, and they were all better looking too. Even the nerdy looking book store clerk who shared a glass of rye with Marlowe while waiting for the rain to end.
    I won't debate you on Lauren Bacall. We obviously see things differently. But this: "Even the nerdy looking book store clerk who shared a glass of rye with Marlowe" Jeez Mark! Did you miss when she backed her ass into the window, knelt down to lower the blinds, took off her glasses, and then let down her hair?

If she wasn't hot at that point, you may need to have your testosterone levels checked.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I won't debate you on Lauren Bacall. We obviously see things differently. But this: "Even the nerdy looking book store clerk who shared a glass of rye with Marlowe" Jeez Mark! Did you miss when she backed her ass into the window, knelt down to lower the blinds, took off her glasses, and then let down her hair?

If she wasn't hot at that point, you may need to have your testosterone levels checked.
    I think you misunderstand me. I agree that she was hot as Hell. Perhaps I didn't state that well, but man. My own glasses fogged just a little.

Evolution (2001). Sillyass movie, but entertaining.

Before agreeing to your daughters’ requests to see Frozen II with them:

The Radical Politics of Disney's Frozen II | National Review

Maybe it will fall on its ass, like Ghostbusters, and the one a couple of weeks ago that failed at the box office because men don't like to watch action movies with girls. Like how Atomic Blonde was so shitty, right? Maybe they will learn to stay away from Messages that interfere with our entertainment if we stop paying them.

Anyway, I watched Thunderball (1965) last night. The first time I've watched an older Bond movie in a long time, and this was the first one I saw as a kid in the theater. I was amazed by the franchise's ability to establish solid continuity between the Connery Bond and the modern Craig versions -- music, photography, direction, the whole package felt like BOND. These people have done great work.

starting strength coach development program
    Any Peckinpah fans? How about Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia?